- - - - -

Jetting

• Please sign in to reply

6 replies to this topic
  • Yz450f madness

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:08 AM

I have a chance to trade my stock exhaust to an complete fmf titanium power bomb exhaust would I have jet my carb. It's off an 08 Yamaha yz450f and will be going on a 09 will it fit corectly. Thanks

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,245 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2016 - 07:30 PM

I have a chance to trade my stock exhaust to an complete fmf titanium power bomb exhaust would I have jet my carb. It's off an 08 Yamaha yz450f and will be going on a 09 will it fit corectly. Thanks

08 and 09 will fit fine. The power bomb gets you some low end but loses top end. I run the 08-09 stock big header into the fmf on the rear.
You can also strip out all the baffles from your stock muffler and put a Pro Moto billet end cap on it. Then it is straight through just like the fmf rear section.
I tried a mega bomb and sold it right away.

• Krannie McKranface
36,198 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:17 PM

If you jetting is spot on right now, the new pipe will not require new jetting, but the top end may benefit from a larger main.

Too many other factors to create a single step answer...

• Yz450f madness

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Okay thanks my friends for the answere. If I don't go with his exhaust what would be a good slip on for more bottom end torque.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,245 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 29, 2016 - 09:00 PM

Pro Moto billet end cap is the same as any straight through pipe or any straight through muffler.

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2016 - 06:49 AM

Okay thanks my friends for the answere. If I don't go with his exhaust what would be a good slip on for more bottom end torque.

If you currently have the stock exhaust, just about anything else will improve it.  Most typical aftermarket slip-ons will add between 4-7 whole horse power at about 5000 RPM (lower mid range) without affecting top end much one way or other.  The stock header is also oversize, but that doesn't matter as much as the restrictive muffler.

The problem with pulling the baffle cones out of the stock muffler is that they become rather too loud, and there's really no good in that.  As far as the power bomb, the purpose of them is to flatten the torque curve by making the header behave as if it has no defined length, which reduces the peak efficiency of the exhaust, but widens the range in which it is very effective.

• Yz450f madness

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Thanks gray racer

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.