New yz450fx break in?

7 replies to this topic
  • tmav66

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Hello, I just bought a 16 yz450fx I am pretty excited! I'm coming off a 09 yz450 set up for woods. Anyways I don't pick up the bike till this Friday and I have a race Sunday, Bartlett enduro. It's two 34 mile loops so basically I got a little time Saturday to break her in and I don't have the manual yet to read the break in procedure just looking for some advice on breaking it in, or should I just ride my 09 on Sunday? I really don't want to cause I'm trying to sell it and i'd hate to wreck something on the 09. Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:05 AM

Start the bike and roll around on it for about 5 minutes, then shut down and check things over, see if anything's loose or leaking, or whatever. 

For the next 20-30 minutes ride it at between 25% and 85% of it's capability, almost as you normally would.  Then check the fluids again and if there's no reason not to, just ride the thing; break in's over.

• tmav66

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Thanks gray, it's been 11 years since I bought a brand new bike,so been awhile. You suggest changing oil before the two 34 mile loops or just change after the race?

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2016 - 11:52 AM

Change the break in oil out prior to the race.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:48 PM

I break 'em in like I ride 'em, no special treatment other than no WFO runs for the first few hours.  My FX seems to like fresh oil around the 6-7 hour mark, longer than that and the clutch noise increases quite a bit.

• RichDawson

Posted October 04, 2016 - 10:53 AM

I put about 1.5 hours of moderate trail riding on mine, changed oil, and just completed a 60 mile enduro. No issues.

• tmav66

Posted October 04, 2016 - 12:07 PM

I put about 1.5 hours of moderate trail riding on mine, changed oil, and just completed a 60 mile enduro. No issues.

I did the exact same thing 1.5 hour break in then a 64 mile enduro the next day bike did great, I did ok lol but I did eff up my right side radiator so now I'm down for a week staring at my new bike waiting for new radiator and braces.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 04, 2016 - 02:58 PM

5 min idle with slow throttle roll to 2 or 3k now and then.

Ride slowfor 2 miles, then ride HARD in short bursts, on and off the throttle. Lots of decelleration, and no sustained throttle, for 20 mins.

Change oil.  

Ride like normal.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.