Yamaha YZ450F 2010

Last review by flightrider
* * * * -

Yamaha YZ450F 2004

Last review by 1trackmind
* * * * -
Photo
- - - - -

15,16 yz450f common problems or old school reliable ?

• Please sign in to reply

11 replies to this topic
  • scarecrow734

TT Bronze Member

154 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 08:01 AM

I'm shopping for a new bike It was between a 2016 kx450f or a 2015 , 2016 yz450f. I didn't post this in what bike should I buy section because its not a matter of that. I am looking for Yamaha 450f specific info.  I really like the kx I am very comfortable on it but I have read of motor failures with less then 30 hrs so that really scared me off. . I have always been a blue fan for the reliability and I have never had a problem with any of my yz bikes. I am now leaning towards a 15 , 16 yz450f. I did search around a bit thru the forum and didn't find much so I assume that's a good thing. has the 2015 , 2016 yz450f been a solid bike? it will be a woods bike with an occasional trip to the track. I never had a FI Yamaha bike and to be honest I don't like FI i don't trust electronics.

• RMK800

TT Silver Member

863 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Buy the FX, not much difference between that and the F and it's built for woods. These bikes are built so much better then their older stuff which was still very good. Yamaha doesn't take shortcuts. These latest gen bikes are very good.

• Krannie McKranface
36,208 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 26, 2016 - 07:52 PM

^ that

Still a Yamaha, down to the bones. 

Still built like  Yamaha, with a sense of overbuilt-ness throughout, but more refined by a long way over say a 2007 YZ.  Lots of good fittings, brackets, fasteners, wire management, etc.

Nothing like a Eurobike with thier minimalist fasteners, brackets, and fastener sizes, this bike can go end over end down a long downhill and still be fine...

It also does not flex like the Eurobikes either; less compliant but less wander-y at really high speeds too....

More compact than the traditional YZ's, but not as compact as say a Eurobike.

This FX is so smooth, refined, and great handling, it makes my previous YZ's and WR-YZ's feel like muscle cars with flat tires.....

The plastics above the motor are a bit janky still, even on the 2016 (too many strange pieces, stuff doesn't always line up like it should, etc...) but that's kind of been a Yamaha trait before. 

I would not hesitate for a moment to say this is the best of the old school and new school bikes, in one package.

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 26, 2016 - 08:06 PM

^^ That again.  You want a YZ450 set up for the woods?  Buy the FX, add some bark busters and a more extensive skid plate; Done.

• mxrider4life847

TT Member

92 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 27, 2016 - 03:41 PM

^^^ all that...
Plus you can comfortably unload it at the mx track... and rip it around like an "F" with a few clicks of the suspension.

When I first bought my FX, I spent the first 8 hours on it at the mx track. I absolutely loved it. When I took it into the woods, I felt so comfortable, I was whizzing through tight trees in 3rd gear with no bark busters... I was that comfortable.

Slap on some radiator braces first thing. I cartwheeled mine at the track after a cross rut into a jump. Bent the right radiator, as the shrouds do stick out a bit. Finished the lap. Got back to my truck after inspecting myself, looked over the bike and much to my surprise, nothing else was bent, broke or torn.

• Crusty Cy

TT Bronze Member

112 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Go for it. On my 3rd 450F and they are as reliable as mxa says. I'm getting another one soon, can't decide on the f or fx. Dealer has leftover '16s for a steal. Around 60 hrs on all 3 and the valves never moved, no weird failures, just get on and ride, wash, and repeat. Honda and KTM reliability is a farce.

• Dklassen

TT Gold Member

1,098 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 28, 2016 - 07:27 PM

I really like the kx I am very comfortable on it but I have read of motor failures with less then 30 hrs so that really scared me off... I never had a FI Yamaha bike and to be honest I don't like FI i don't trust electronics.

A new KX450 won't fail at 30 hours. If you don't trust electronics then you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. Even carb'd bikes have electronics. How do think the bike runs?

• scarecrow734

TT Bronze Member

154 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:25 AM

A new KX450 won't fail at 30 hours. If you don't trust electronics then you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. Even carb'd bikes have electronics. How do think the bike runs?

2 different dealerships who are kawie dealers told me to stay away from the 16 kx and there are a lot more electronics on a new bike then an ole carbed bike.

• scarecrow734

TT Bronze Member

154 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:26 AM

thanks for all the replies I went and sat on a 450fx and holy crap that's a tall bike. I could only touch on 1 side and that side I was tippy toe.

• xcbuckeyeguy

TT Bronze Member

156 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 09:47 AM

thanks for all the replies I went and sat on a 450fx and holy crap that's a tall bike. I could only touch on 1 side and that side I was tippy toe.

My 14' 450f was the same way. After being sprung for my weight and setting the sag it's right where it needs to be.

• jimbopitts

TT Bronze Member

169 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 08:56 AM

The 16 kawi 450 has mapping issues, popping and running lean and such as per motocross action. The kawi map tool costs around $700. The yammi does not have mapping issues and the tuner is around $250. Hope that helps

• ah665

TT Titanium Member

2,056 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2016 - 10:11 AM

The newest-gen YZF is just a tall bike. I have the same guy/shop do the suspension on all of my bikes and my current 250F is noticeably taller than the previous gen 10-13. Either way, great bikes. I don't have the 450 but as a 250F owner, I have found the current bike to be just as reliable as the older ones.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.