Trouble adjusting Rekluse

Brand Rekluse

36 replies to this topic
  • Revster

Posted September 25, 2016 - 05:53 PM

I am running a CORE EXP on my 2009 YZ450F, last couple of riding it felt like it was out of adjustment (stalling) so I tried to adjust it tonight.  Normally the recommended install gap (one turn plus 2 notches past the starting point) is perfect for my bike.  Perfect 1/8" movement on the lever.

However, this time, zero movement in the lever.  So I followed the directions and went counter clockwise (unscrewed) the adjuster.....no change.  I kept doing this till I was 7 notches looser that the recommended install gap.  Still zero movement it the lever.  The clutch works like a traditional clutch now so it is obviously too loose, so the lever should be moving excessively when the bike is revved.... yet zero movement.

I have gone over the install video several times I can not find anything that I am doing wrong.  I have also played with the clutch adjustment, zero effect.

Anyone know why I would not be getting feedback on the lever when revving the bike?  I am out of ideas.     

• rickhorror

Posted September 26, 2016 - 09:41 AM

Might be time for a new cable.

• Itsatruck

Posted September 26, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Sounds like your clutch lever is out of adjustment. It has to be adjusted to factory specifications before you adjust the Rekluse rubber band play.

• Revster

Posted September 26, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Might be time for a new cable.

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think that is it, I have full range of motion on actuator, it moves very smooth, the pull is light.

Sounds like your clutch lever is out of adjustment. It has to be adjusted to factory specifications before you adjust the Rekluse rubber band play.

No I have checked that and rechecked it.  I have tried it with extra play, I have tried it a little tight and I get zero movement in the lever.  I even swapped the stock lever back on to eliminate the aftermarket one.   But thanks for the feedback.

• rickhorror

Posted September 26, 2016 - 11:21 AM

How long have you had it ? Tried adjusting the springs to firmwr ones. I just had the exp 2.0 and I had to tighten the clutch lever till there was no play at all and when you revved it it gave the feedback

I used asv unbreakable levers.

Edited by rickhorror, September 26, 2016 - 11:22 AM.

• Itsatruck

Posted September 26, 2016 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think that is it, I have full range of motion on actuator, it moves very smooth, the pull is light.

No I have checked that and rechecked it. I have tried it with extra play, I have tried it a little tight and I get zero movement in the lever. I even swapped the stock lever back on to eliminate the aftermarket one. But thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like the exp disk is out of spec/worn. Or your stock friction disks. Call Rekluse and see what they say.

Edited by michale, September 26, 2016 - 11:46 AM.

• Revster

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:36 PM

How long have you had it ? Tried adjusting the springs to firmwr ones. I just had the exp 2.0 and I had to tighten the clutch lever till there was no play at all and when you revved it it gave the feedback

I used asv unbreakable levers.

Thanks for the help.

I bought this bike in the spring from a friend of a friend.  This is the second Rekluse he has had in it, (he didn't like the leverless one) So this clutch has very low hours on it.  If I decided to screw with this further I will try tightening it up all the way as you suggest, although I think I have them pretty close to that.

• Revster

Posted September 26, 2016 - 12:47 PM

Sounds like the exp disk is out of spec/worn. Or your stock friction disks. Call Rekluse and see what they say.

Yeah I am thinking the same thing. Not that I know much about these clutches just that it is not an adjustment issue, something is broken.  If I tighten the adjuster (as the center of the pack) the clutch slips but the auto clutch function works.  If I loosen the adjuster I get solid engagement but the auto feature does not work, it acts as a traditional clutch.

To be honest this came on the bike but it has been more trouble than it is worth.  I have the guy I bought the bike from searching his shop for the stock clutch it is going back in.

I have it set as to function as a regular clutch right now, we'll see if I make it out of the wood tomorrow!!

Thanks for the help guys

• Itsatruck

Posted September 26, 2016 - 01:01 PM

[quote name="Revster" post="13342429" timestamp="1474922857"]Yeah I am thinking the same thing. Not that I know much about these clutches just that it is not an adjustment issue, something is broken.  If I tighten the adjuster (as the center of the pack) the clutch slips but the auto clutch function works.  If I loosen the adjuster I get solid engagement but the auto feature does not work, it acts as a traditional clutch.

To be honest this came on the bike but it has been more trouble than it is worth.  I have the guy I bought the bike from searching his shop for the stock clutch it is going back in.

I have it set as to function as a regular clutch right now, we'll see if I make it out of the wood tomorrow!!

Thanks for the help guys[quote name="Revster" post="13342429" timestamp="1474922857"]Yeah I am thinking the same thing. Not that I know much about these clutches just that it is not an adjustment issue, something is broken.  If I tighten the adjuster (as the center of the pack) the clutch slips but the auto clutch function works.  If I loosen the adjuster I get solid engagement but the auto feature does not work, it acts as a traditional clutch.

Thanks for the help guys[/quote]

If the stock disks are worn then get new ones and keep the Rekluse. Have you checked them yet? My disks last longer with the Rekluse than without it but if you ride a gear or 2 higher at low rpm that that will cause wear. Once they are set up properly it's almost set it and forget it.

• Monk

Posted September 26, 2016 - 01:03 PM

When you adjusted the install gap, did you slack the cable first?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CDNSXV

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Well, let's spend just a second and think about this. You loosened the centre adjustment on the Rekluse and now it doesn't work. Maybe try tightening the centre adjustment?

Have you actually measured the installed gap or are you just assuming based upon the instructions? From experience with a Rekluse you have to actually measure the installed gap with feeler gauges.

Keep in ,Ind that screwing the centre adjustment in causes an increase in the installed gap. Backing that centre adjustment out will reduce the installed gap.

• CDNSXV

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Yeah I am thinking the same thing. Not that I know much about these clutches just that it is not an adjustment issue, something is broken. If I tighten the adjuster (as the center of the pack) the clutch slips but the auto clutch function works. If I loosen the adjuster I get solid engagement but the auto feature does not work, it acts as a traditional clutch.

To be honest this came on the bike but it has been more trouble than it is worth. I have the guy I bought the bike from searching his shop for the stock clutch it is going back in.

Thanks for the help guys

I don't understand the problem here. When you tighten the adjuster, the clutch slips at idle and also works as an auto clutch. That's what it is supposed to do.

• Monk

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:16 PM

I don't understand the problem here. When you tighten the adjuster, the clutch slips at idle and also works as an auto clutch. That's what it is supposed to do.

You are correct...If the gap is top large, the bike won't move as it will be slipping badly.

If you have the install gap too tight, the bike will lurch forward and die as it will be engaged too much...

I wonder if the OP should try 1 full turn +1 click, trying to find that sweet spot...

Edited by Monk, September 27, 2016 - 06:30 PM.

• CDNSXV

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Correct. So get it in that range and then fine tune as needed. Installed gap should be in the .035" to .040" range.

I run mine on the tighter end with a bit of drag when the bike is idling. This means the clutch engages at lower rpm and engages harder at higher rpm. We ride a lot of big steep hills so clutch lockup is important.

• Itsatruck

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:45 PM

If nothing else works and the friction disks and exp disk are all within spec then remove the center nut and reinstall and re-torque it. For some reason the Rekluse acts weird if that nut is too tight.

• Revster

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:52 PM

When you adjusted the install gap, did you slack the cable first?

Yes.  I followed the setup steps.  I have done it before and had it working great.  When it stopped working I went back and went through the steps again to give my self a starting point. However it does not seem to be a set-up issue.  

Well, let's spend just a second and think about this. You loosened the centre adjustment on the Rekluse and now it doesn't work. Maybe try tightening the centre adjustment?

Have you actually measured the installed gap or are you just assuming based upon the instructions? From experience with a Rekluse you have to actually measure the installed gap with feeler gauges.

Keep in ,Ind that screwing the centre adjustment in causes an increase in the installed gap. Backing that centre adjustment out will reduce the installed gap.

I posted the results for tightening it and loosening it.  I am guessing you have a different model then I do.  I am following Rekluse's adjustment process to the letter.   

Clutch slipping at idle?!?  Ahhhh no.  Slipping while in gear, while riding.  

• Revster

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:58 PM

If nothing else works and the friction disks and exp disk are all within spec then remove the center nut and reinstall and re-torque it. For some reason the Rekluse acts weird if that nut is too tight.

Yeah I saw that in one of the installation videos that I saw.  I will have to take it all apart and start from scratch and check everything.

It worked all day today as a traditional clutch, good engagement however, the auto feature was again not working at all.  I could have used my safety net, stalled her at the top of a hill. :facepalm:

• Itsatruck

Posted September 27, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Yeah I saw that in one of the installation videos that I saw.  I will have to take it all apart and start from scratch and check everything.

It worked all day today as a traditional clutch, good engagement however, the auto feature was again not working at all.  I could have used my safety net, stalled her at the top of a hill. :facepalm:

you have to take it apart to check the disks. the nut would be the next step.

• Revster

Posted September 27, 2016 - 07:23 PM

you have to take it apart to check the disks. the nut would be the next step.

Yup I know which nut you speak off.  

• CDNSXV

Posted September 27, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Are you riding a gear high? I find I have to run one gear lower than I would normally run in order to keep the motor spinning and the clutch engaged.

Have you actually measured the installed gap? That's the first thing I'd suggest. Get within the .035" to .040" range and see how it works. If you are going from too much slip to too little slip it seems like you are adjusting the thing way too much in each direction.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The Downside to Technology and Rider Aids by CDNSXV

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Off-Road Riding Technique
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  249 replies
Forums
Photo

450R rekluse z start into 450x by Mert

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Does Ryan Dungey use a Rekluse or something like it? by Nor8e8rs

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Star Racing Running Rekluse by Squid_Racer

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  69 replies
Reviews

Rekluse EXP Core 3.0 auto-clutch by jskidmore

Drive Drivetrain Rekluse EXP Core 3.0 auto-clutch, Brand Rekluse
  • * * * * -
  • 11 reviews
  • Last review by Mark Matthews
  • On January 08, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.