- - - - -

2016 YZ450F Fork Springs?

• Please sign in to reply

9 replies to this topic
  • mxtodd67

TT Newbie

22 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 11:15 AM

About a month ago I bought a new 16 YZ450F and have about 10 hrs. on th ebike now so it's fully brken in. I feel the front suspension is a little stiff for my weight and am trying to find aout what the stock spring weight is on th ebike. I called both Factory Connection and Race Tech and received two different answers on what the stock weight is!!

Btw, I weight 155 lbs. without gear so I will need to go down in weight!

Thanks

• moonbeam1719

TT Newbie

15 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 11:41 AM

My manual for the 16 has the springs at 5.0N/mm for USA and Canada. I'm 150 and pulled forks up the triple 5mm and was actually able to run the compression and damping fairly agressive. ..comp 7 clicks out and rebound 9 out...love it!

• Krannie McKranface
36,185 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 25, 2016 - 11:54 AM

Springs a weight or two too heavy will not make the bike feel ' stiff '.... that is the damping characteristics.

Back off on the compression/rebound a few clicks.

• Sheriff245

TT Titanium Member

2,274 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 04:16 PM

For 2016, Yamaha went with softer valving and stiffer springs in an attempt to keep the front higher in the stroke while retaining ride comfort. Can you describe what you interpret as a stiff feeling? 

Stock is .51 kg/mm (or 5.0 N/mm, it's the same thing). At 155 lbs you should try .48 kg/mm, but also consider going with a softer rear spring. What are your race/free sag lectures, front and rear?

• mxtodd67

TT Newbie

22 posts

Posted September 29, 2016 - 06:50 PM

For 2016, Yamaha went with softer valving and stiffer springs in an attempt to keep the front higher in the stroke while retaining ride comfort. Can you describe what you interpret as a stiff feeling? 

Stock is .51 kg/mm (or 5.0 N/mm, it's the same thing). At 155 lbs you should try .48 kg/mm, but also consider going with a softer rear spring. What are your race/free sag lectures, front and rear?

The bike seems to deflect a bit off of small chop, feel it more at slower speeds that when moving faster. I am working with my rebound to see if that helps and trying some larger moves in both directions to gauge the impact.

• Sheriff245

TT Titanium Member

2,274 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 03:25 AM

The bike seems to deflect a bit off of small chop, feel it more at slower speeds that when moving faster. I am working with my rebound to see if that helps and trying some larger moves in both directions to gauge the impact.

Seems like your suspension is too stiff. I would try going softer on compression instead. Most likely going softer on springs would help also.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,227 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 30, 2016 - 05:28 AM

Your suspension is likely too stiff as the bike is set up for a 185 lb. rider. Certainly play with adjusters and so forth. My 16' WR450 forks deflected off of ruts, rocks, roots and bumps, it's a different bike but same springs different damping. I weigh 160 lbs. so I sent it Enzo suspension and told them what I do and what I wanted. They did an excellent job with the suspension. They carry the factory KYB springs.

• CaptainKnobby

TT Addict

4,464 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Springs a weight or two too heavy will not make the bike feel ' stiff '.... that is the damping characteristics.

Back off on the compression/rebound a few clicks.

I am 160lbs without gear on and also have a new 16 model 450.
I have my comp on the forks at 16 out and rebound at 15 out.

When it's muddy I go in about 3 to 4 clicks on both.

Shock comp is 18 clicks out, muddy I go in to 13 out.

I love the feeling of how the 16 450 reds higher in the stroke on the forks and shock.

• CaptainKnobby

TT Addict

4,464 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 05:46 PM

Seems like your suspension is too stiff. I would try going softer on compression instead. Most likely going softer on springs would help also.

Exactly!........I kept my Fork springs and shock spring stock and just opened all the clickers up. It wasn't until I got to about 13 clicks out on comp on Forks till it started to feel soft for me. I run them now at 16 out. Shock was same way but seemed a tad on the hard side.

I wound up running the comp on the shock at 18clicks out and rebound at 15 out, but if it's real choppy and rough with lots of deep breaking bumps, I go as far as 23 clicks out on rebound.

My sag is 103 with a free sag of 42mm. All though I would like to see a free sag of 35-38mm but 42mm to me isn't that bad.

• CaptainKnobby

TT Addict

4,464 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 05:55 PM

About a month ago I bought a new 16 YZ450F and have about 10 hrs. on th ebike now so it's fully brken in. I feel the front suspension is a little stiff for my weight and am trying to find aout what the stock spring weight is on th ebike. I called both Factory Connection and Race Tech and received two different answers on what the stock weight is!!

Btw, I weight 155 lbs. without gear so I will need to go down in weight!

Thanks

Don't be afraid to open those clickers up!........Even on the shock!......open em up!. Heck! I have my Forks comp on my16 model 16 clicks out and rebound at 14 out.

Shock same way......comp 18 out and rebound 15-23 out and High speed comp 1 turn and 3/4 out.

All springs are stock 5.1 on front and 5.4on rear.

Most YZ's I have owned in the past I had revalved and they rode lower in the stroke. I like the higher in the stroke feeling better. Best suspension out of the box I have ever rode.

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.