- - - - -

Struggling with timing and getting my bike started

• Please sign in to reply

31 replies to this topic
  • romansam

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 06:44 AM

As in checking it wrong. I did start kind of high and jammed some large feelers in. But then I realized what I was doing and went lower and got those measurements. Maybe jamming the larger ones in caused them to read looser. But it should snap back right? Couldn't be permanent

• jonwayne14

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Hey guys I started a thread on here trying to get some answers didn't get many replies could really use some help I just acquired and 06yz450 it's the first 4 stroke I've owned it's was running great was riding for like 2-3 hours at a sand pit sometimes putting and sometimes getting it it started to stall while I was sitting at idle in neutral talking to the guys I didn't think anything of it and it would start back up in about 3-5 kicks then I felt it try to stall while driving in gear I gave it some throttle went maybe 20 yards and died I let it sit for about 20 minutes incase it was hot went to kick it the kicker moved about half way very hard then it locked up I couldn't move kicker at all took it home later Tht night I went to show a buddy and suddenly it would kick over with normal compression I did not continue to kick or attempt to start it I don't wanna damage anything what I did find is oil was low almost to bottom of dipstick however idk if I'm even checking it right the air filter is very bad water level was perfect I've been running 110/93 mixed 50/50 in it as previous owner did and I did notice that if I stalled it while taking off or in a corner or something it would do one little pop not to loud but noticeable the owner before me had replaced timing chain and tensioner once I'm hoping thts it again or maybe oil was to low and something to do wth camshaft? Any info will help but my main question is that if it kicks over now is it safe to assume top end is ok and it's a simple fix? Should I try to start it ?

• jonwayne14

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Let me also add i don't use the hot start to start it ever I assumed Tht was just for ppl who couldn't handle the kick am I suppose to b using it

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Romansam: when using feeler gauges, you don't need to jam them in. Start on the smaller side, moving to a larger gauge until you feel slight resistance. Then take your measurement. Once you jam them in you've lost your accuracy. They will snap back to normal position once you've removed the feeler gauge, yes! Not permenant

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:24 AM

JonWayne: it's hard to say where the problem lies without knowing more info. If it was my bike, I'd pull the cover, check valves and especially the timing for starters. If the bike sat for a long while before you acquired it, the fuel could be bad. Does the fuel smell like varnish?

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:29 AM

I use the hot start lever on all my starts, even cold! My bike will not start if I don't. It doesn't make it easier to kick like a compression release on cr500. I have a HC piston, ported & polished head with some nasty cams that might be why mine is like kicking a mule to start.

• romansam

TT Newbie

23 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 01:58 PM

I set the fuel screw all the way in. Maybe my threads are messed up as well because it starts now. But won't last long. Kicks the kicker back at my foot and stalls. Any idea?

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 03:08 PM

He screw should be anywhere from 1.0 - 2.5 turns out depending on carb setup.twist it out 2 full turns and see what happens

• Thumbster21

TT Bronze Member

224 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:33 PM

As in checking it wrong. I did start kind of high and jammed some large feelers in. But then I realized what I was doing and went lower and got those measurements. Maybe jamming the larger ones in caused them to read looser. But it should snap back right? Couldn't be permanent

I read a long time ago that when using feeler gauges the correct "feel" should be as if you put the feeler gauge in the middle of a nice sized book, closed it, then pulled it out....if that makes sense.

And no, jamming in a feeler gauge should not do any damage....unless there is a hammer or something involved.

I would start with your valve clearances and then go on to the next problem.

Write down your measurements then see what size shims you have and write those numbers down next to the corresponding valve measurement.

Then order some shims or do like I did and go to a bike shop. They gave me several used shims and told me to bring back what I didn't use.

As for my fuel screw being stripped. Before I fixed it, my fuel screw would only turn (from completely turned in) about 5 1/2 full turns before falling out. Now that I've fixed the threads it's about 8 1/2.

• Krannie McKranface
36,181 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 11, 2016 - 10:31 AM

Too much cross posting!

Dont' start your own inquiry about your bike within an existing thread.

Start your own thread....

• oscaroc

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 10:33 AM

I might add, do not force your fuel screw in. You can damage the are where it seats and have more fueling issues than you already have. When it gets finger tight... leave it.

• Thumbster21

TT Bronze Member

224 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Hey guys I started a thread on here trying to get some answers didn't get many replies could really use some help I just acquired and 06yz450 it's the first 4 stroke I've owned it's was running great was riding for like 2-3 hours at a sand pit sometimes putting and sometimes getting it it started to stall while I was sitting at idle in neutral talking to the guys I didn't think anything of it and it would start back up in about 3-5 kicks then I felt it try to stall while driving in gear I gave it some throttle went maybe 20 yards and died I let it sit for about 20 minutes incase it was hot went to kick it the kicker moved about half way very hard then it locked up I couldn't move kicker at all took it home later Tht night I went to show a buddy and suddenly it would kick over with normal compression I did not continue to kick or attempt to start it I don't wanna damage anything what I did find is oil was low almost to bottom of dipstick however idk if I'm even checking it right the air filter is very bad water level was perfect I've been running 110/93 mixed 50/50 in it as previous owner did and I did notice that if I stalled it while taking off or in a corner or something it would do one little pop not to loud but noticeable the owner before me had replaced timing chain and tensioner once I'm hoping thts it again or maybe oil was to low and something to do wth camshaft? Any info will help but my main question is that if it kicks over now is it safe to assume top end is ok and it's a simple fix? Should I try to start it ?

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD LEARN HOW TO USE SOME PUNCTUATION!!! lol

Seriously though, I didn't even take the time to read your post because it's painful to look at. Use a space between paragraphs and end a sentence with the appropriate punctuation.

....and you might want to start your own thread so people can help you with your particular problem.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.