86 XR600R Float level???

9 replies to this topic
  • alisonandmindysdad

Posted March 19, 2004 - 06:06 AM

Hi All,

I found an 86 XR600R in a ranchers barn in Nebraska. He bought it new and only used it for one summer. I guess it went to fast in first gear to follow a cow to the barn, so he parked it and went back to his 250. I pulled the carbs and everything was pretty decent, 'cept the pilot jet was plugged. Got that cleaned up and wanted to check the float levels. Anybody know the float level specs for an '86 with dual carbs? I assume the measurement is taken from the base of the main carb body to the bottom of the float WITHOUT pushing the spring loaded needle pin down?

Also, any ideas where to start with jetting on this thing? I'll ride anywhere from 4500' to as high as 11,000' with most of it around 5500 to 7500. It has 122 mains and a 45 pilot in it now.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

• fishbone1

Posted March 19, 2004 - 06:33 PM

Larry,
Congrats on the find. I have an 85 xr600r and if I remember correctly the floats should be set at 17mm. I can check the manual at work tomorrow. Your jets are still definitely bone stock. I will e-mail you a pic out of the manual for setting jetting for altitude. Good luck with the bike.
Andy

• alisonandmindysdad

Posted March 19, 2004 - 07:15 PM

Thanks tons Andy...I'm curious as to how this thing will run at altitude. I'm hoping a I can jet it for 5000 ft. or so and "get by" above that. I think I'll leave the exhaust alone simply 'cuz of the noise issues in the National forest, but i am thinking of taking the "snorkel" out of the air cleaner box. I have mixed feelings about that. I'm sure Honda put it in for a reason. It looks restrictive, but perhaps it directs the airflow better and actually helps to have it there. I'll just have to try it both ways.

Take care

• fishbone1

Posted March 20, 2004 - 04:30 PM

Larry,
float level is 18mm
check these out Posted Image

• alisonandmindysdad

Posted March 22, 2004 - 05:24 AM

Thanks alot for the help Andy. Got the carbs on her and she fired right up. It has a slight flat spot just off of idle that I'll have to play with, but all in all she sounds pretty good after a 15 year time out. I really appreciate your time and effort to copy the jetting page.

Thanks again,

Larry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fishbone1

Posted March 22, 2004 - 06:51 AM

Larry,
No problem. How did you jet it or did you leave it stock?

• alisonandmindysdad

Posted March 22, 2004 - 01:57 PM

I left it stock for now 'til I can get some jets ordered. Looks to me like 118's will be a little rich for most of my riding, but if I go to 115's, I might be a little to lean below 5000 ft., but the 115's might be best above 5000. Probably get a couple of each and try them. Rather be a touch rich than lean.

I really appreciated all your help Andy. I'll try to return the favor to the next person.

Larry

• fishbone1

Posted March 22, 2004 - 04:44 PM

I think 118's will be fine. I personally would try to run the bike a little rich. I am going to start out with mine at 125's and a 48 pilot. I have a k&n air filter and opend up airbox. I Should have the bike ready in a couple of weeks. I still need a rear tire and a set of sprockets. Hope you enjoy your bike. I just sold my 01' xr650 and I miss it alot.

• alisonandmindysdad

Posted March 26, 2004 - 08:02 PM

I just bought some Primary Drive sprockets from rockymountainmc.com. I think the front (14T) was $6.99 and the rear (50T) was $14.99. I still think it's too fast in first gear, but I'm going to wait til I put some miles on it before I buy a 13 tooth for the front. I'm hoping to head to the mountains in the next couple of weeks. Probably be awhile 'til I get to really high altitude though (snow). Still haven't figured out that flat spot off idle.

• XR250rdr

Posted March 27, 2004 - 11:48 AM

I think the dual carbs just have that flat spot. You kinda have to learn to ride around it. Raising the idle a bit helps to make to away a little bit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.