• YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Instagram
  • RSS Feed
  • Google+

Photo
- - - - -

2007 WR450F frame damage from chain rub?

• Please sign in to reply

6 replies to this topic
  • picard

TT Member

48 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Hello,
I've been looking at a really nice 2007 WR450F that's been used as a SM for the last year or so. It's really nice, well set up and clean with seemingly very low miles but I noticed that the main fame spar on the left side has been eaten into by the chain. I would say that there is about 1, maybe 2mm of material missing from the frame spar.
The current owner had not noticed it and was genuinely surprised when i pointed it out.

Is this too much damage? From all I hear further damage can be avoided by buying a aftermarket chain guide for the front or by wrapping the frame spar in that area with tough material (like nomex or something).

I would buy the bike but I'm worried about a potentially weakened frame. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry I did not take a picture of it.

TIA, - picard

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 21, 2016 - 12:25 PM

Typical

The subframe probably has similar damage.

Even if it's cut all the way through to the inside, it's going to be fine unless you get air on a regular basis.

Many cover this area with a block of Teflon or similar.

• picard

TT Member

48 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

The subframe was actually ok, just a few scuffs. It's not close to be rubbed through, so that's good to hear that it's probably OK.

Any opinions to the contrary?

Edited by picard, September 22, 2016 - 07:31 AM.

• michale

TT Bronze Member

203 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!
The subframe was actually ok, just a few scuffs. It's not close to be rubbed through, so that's good to hear that it's probably OK.

Any opinions to the contrary?

I would have a plate welded over the hole for
2 reasons. Future protection and the old saying, a stitch in time saves nine.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:06 PM

I would have a plate welded over the hole for
2 reasons. Future protection and the old saying, a stitch in time saves nine.

You are suggesting crocheting the repair then ??

• Tootall281

TT Member

59 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Nope, if your like me think about how you ride your bike on the street .........wide open an fast, just what it's not made for. Wr is a amazing bike but not made to ride 55+ on the highway for 2000+ miles. Forget the low miles if it was only on the street .......pass

• 91kdx25088

TT Silver Member

967 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:27 PM

Nope, if your like me think about how you ride your bike on the street .........wide open an fast, just what it's not made for. Wr is a amazing bike but not made to ride 55+ on the highway for 2000+ miles. Forget the low miles if it was only on the street .......pass

Not everybody rides like a lunatic...

all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.