how hard is replacing spring and oil in this bike forks?

because I have really only one problem with this bike now which is soft front.

I thought if I get stiffer spring and heavier oil that would do it probably and if I do it myself

it will be cheap upgrade. But is is easy enough? never played with suspension before.

I was thinking about Hyperpro Progressive fork spring kit like this:

$_1.JPG

Does progressing spring have to be ordered for the specific rider weight?

Edited by motf

because I have really only one problem with this bike now which is soft front.

I thought if I get stiffer spring and heavier oil that would do it probably and if I do it myself

it will be cheap upgrade. But is is easy enough? never played with suspension before.

I was thinking about Hyperpro Progressive fork spring kit like this:

$_1.JPG

Does progressing spring have to be ordered for the specific rider weight?

It's fairly easy to change the spring and oil if you are doing the Racetech spring kit. Racetech kit uses 500cc of oil for the Left fork, 600cc if you change the oil in the right fork.

Don't know about the Hyperpro.

I would do the Gold valves also while you have the fork apart. The Gold valves make the biggest difference in the fork from my experience.

It's fairly easy to change the spring and oil if you are doing the Racetech spring kit. Racetech kit uses 500cc of oil for the Left fork, 600cc if you change the oil in the right fork.

Don't know about the Hyperpro.

I would do the Gold valves also while you have the fork apart. The Gold valves make the biggest difference in the fork from my experience.

but do you have to take the fork off the bike? or just unscrew the top and replace the content.

but do you have to take the fork off the bike? or just unscrew the top and replace the content.

If you don't want to remove the fork  you will have to remove the handlebars to have the room to get the spring and spacer in.

I would remove the fork myself.

If you don't feel comfortable removing the fork, you definitely won't feel comfortable doing the spring install. 

Not sure why it would be different to swap a different brand spring. Remove, or actually move handlebars out of the way, support front of bike, carefully remove caps to remove old spring (the CRF250L only has a spring in one side, the R-T kit adds a spring to the other side along with the stock spring), drain old oil and add new oil and then put in the new spring(s). If you can do that without removing the forks which means taking of the wheel and brake caliper why not?

I think the spring and slightly heavier oil is a great alternative to the R-T Gold Valves and spring kit. My opinion, but while I have the R-T Gold Valves and spring kit in my forks (did it myself) I'm not a fan boy. Simply it works and makes the forks better, no reason to get all "hyper" about it ?  . I put a Hyper Pro shock on the back and like it too.

If you were inclined and had the measurements of the R-T extra spring you could probably get what you need at a motorcycle junk yard and fab the spacer from PVC pipe... It's not rocket science.

Edited by Evan D

Progressive springs are ok but have a bit of fade with heavy use.  Just saying.  I sent my racetech stuff to a local racetech guy and loved it.  Take a look at this: http://hyperpro.com/wp-content/PDFs/Manuals/Hyperpro-Spring-Mounting-Manual-ENG.pdf if it makes sense then I'd try it, if not I'd farm it out. 

Progressive springs are ok but have a bit of fade with heavy use.  Just saying.  I sent my racetech stuff to a local racetech guy and loved it.  Take a look at this: http://hyperpro.com/wp-content/PDFs/Manuals/Hyperpro-Spring-Mounting-Manual-ENG.pdf if it makes sense then I'd try it, if not I'd farm it out. 

here is the hyperpro progressive spring test on crf250l, quite nice...

Edited by motf

That test looks like a great product and granted my knowledge of progressive springs are from conventional not upside down forks might work a bit better.  I always noted a vague feeling about them after a long ride, man you guys are making me miss my CRF the bit of riding I've done on the DR650 makes me feel like I need to get on roids.