- - - - -

I hate yz450f bikes.

• Please sign in to reply

20 replies to this topic
  • hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 03:17 AM

I hate them. They never break so nobody posts something about them. Everyone just rides and rides and rides! How many hours are you guys going, what is your maintenance schedule, pictures of pretty ones?.... my 2016 yz450f is probably the most adjustable and adaptable bikes I've ever owned. Has its quirks but I'm very happy with a stock bike. That's something I've never said before!

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 19, 2016 - 06:55 AM

There's already picture threads in abundance. 

Reliability is among the biggest reasons I own a YZF.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 07:50 AM

There's already picture threads in abundance.

Reliability is among the biggest reasons I own a YZF.

What do we do if our bikes aren't broke down? I already ride a lot and feel the need to fix something.

• Wiz636

TT Addict

4,214 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 19, 2016 - 07:58 AM

What do we do if our bikes aren't broke down? I already ride a lot and feel the need to fix something.

Take it apart and grease all the bearings.

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 19, 2016 - 08:17 AM

A new timing chain every year.

• neilnice

TT Bronze Member

121 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 08:53 AM

A new timing chain every year.

Every year? For someone who doesn't get out to ride as much how many riding hours would you recommend to replace the timing chain? Also would you recommend this for 250fs?

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:12 AM

I found that worked for me when I rode 80-120 hours a year, changing a premium motorcycle oil every 5-8 hours.

If you don't ride a lot, and:

• You also don't change oil that often
  • You let old oil sit in the engine for several weeks
  • You don't use an oil with excellent ant-corrosion performance

Then I'd recommend doing it anyway.  The worst kinked chains I've run into were in bikes that sat in the garage until it was time for the Thanksgiving, New Years, or the trip to Utah every year. 

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:14 AM

I found that worked for me when I rode 80-120 hours a year, changing a premium motorcycle oil every 5-8 hours.

Then I'd recommend doing it anyway. The worst kinked chains I've run into were in bikes that say in the garage until it was time for the Thanksgiving, New Years, or the trip to Utah every year.
I ride 3 times a week, with working 10 hr days

• neilnice

TT Bronze Member

121 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Then I'd recommend doing it anyway. The worst kinked chains I've run into were in bikes that say in the garage until it was time for the Thanksgiving, New Years, or the trip to Utah every year.

I got my 16 250f (I know it's the 450 forum but I read all yamaha) exactly a year ago. I have 52 hours on it according to the tuner, 56 according to the hour meter. Oil changed every 2-5 hours. I Always have fresh oil before a track day no matter what and air filter changed more frequent then oil.. I always see you chime in with good info and im curious as to what other maintenance you do to keep your bike fresh. For example when to change spark plug, check valve clearance, top end refresh etc..

Thanks

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 19, 2016 - 11:43 AM

I did the top end at 300 hours, although I probably should have done it at around 270.  The ring lands were beginning to drag on the bore walls due to piston skirt wear, which can lead to trouble (it didn't).  That involved a piston, rings and refinish the cylinder to re-use it.  Also replaced the center intake valve, which had just got to the point of wearing through it's coating.

I check the valves at mid year, and again when I replace the cam chain.  Every ride day starts with a fresh air filter.  Oil changes always include a clean filter (I use a Scotts) and happen every 5-8 hours.  If there's a race day coming up, the oil gets changed first, regardless.

I race and ride mostly desert, rarely any mud at all, and I don't pressure wash the bike, so I don't have a problem keeping the greased areas clean and lubed.

New NGK Iridium plug every year, just for giggles,

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:15 AM

I did the top end at 300 hours, although I probably should have done it at around 270. The ring lands were beginning to drag on the bore walls due to piston skirt wear, which can lead to trouble (it didn't). That involved a piston, rings and refinish the cylinder to re-use it. Also replaced the center intake valve, which had just got to the point of wearing through it's coating.

I check the valves at mid year, and again when I replace the cam chain. Every ride day starts with a fresh air filter. Oil changes always include a clean filter (I use a Scotts) and happen every 5-8 hours. If there's a race day coming up, the oil gets changed first, regardless.

I race and ride mostly desert, rarely any mud at all, and I don't pressure wash the bike, so I don't have a problem keeping the greased areas clean and lubed.

I too have never power washed a bike. My dad told me 30 years ago it would blow dirt past seals and destroy everything. Funny story, I got my bike at the same time as my buddy, he power washes and stays on tracks only; I use a garden hose and a variety of brushes and rags, ride mx, trails, whatever AND have 15 more hours then him. My bike looks better, and doesn't squeak or crunch when I sit on it.

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:34 AM

Sealed chains will last much longer without power washing, too.

• nicky-san

TT Member

54 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 04:41 PM

3rd yz450f, First one 2014 with timing chain skipping two teeth.then second and third are 2015, to Gray racer point, timing chain every winter , rings at 80 , piston- rings at 160,then wear and tear items, oil Motul 3100 and air filter every ride. That's it

In the market next summer for either a new generation YZF 2018 or a KTM 17 or 18

KTM reliabilty scares me and air fork performance va SSS unknown on one hand, unknown weigth reduction and fork design on YZF side ,on the other hand , will keep me awake at night for sure.....lol

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 04:51 PM

3rd yz450f, First one 2014 with timing chain skipping two teeth.then second and third are 2015, to Gray racer point, timing chain every winter , rings at 80 , piston- rings at 160,then wear and tear items, oil Motul 3100 and air filter every ride. That's it

In the market next summer for either a new generation YZF 2018 or a KTM 17 or 18

KTM reliabilty scares me and air fork performance va SSS unknown on one hand, unknown weigth reduction and fork design on YZF side ,on the other hand , will keep me awake at night for sure.....lol

I've been using amsoil. Change every 4 or 5 hours. How many hours on fork oil do you go?

• beezer

TT Addict

4,872 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Sealed chains will last much longer without power washing, too.

If I owned a bike dealership I'd include a power washer with every dirtbike I sold.

• trailman006 and hondaman331 like this
  • Like This

• nicky-san

TT Member

54 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Fork oil around 40-50 hrs

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,108 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 12:48 AM

Fork oil around 40-50 hrs

Any specific kind? I heard the kyb stuff is the best....

• nicky-san

TT Member

54 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 03:24 AM

I Would not be able to feel the difference, i use either Motul or Maxima

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 21, 2016 - 06:28 AM

If I owned a bike dealership I'd include a power washer with every dirtbike I sold.

Yeah.  That way you could sell more stuff.

• NW_drZ

TT Silver Member

860 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 06:30 AM

I did the top end at 300 hours, although I probably should have done it at around 270. The ring lands were beginning to drag on the bore walls due to piston skirt wear, which can lead to trouble (it didn't). That involved a piston, rings and refinish the cylinder to re-use it. Also replaced the center intake valve, which had just got to the point of wearing through it's coating.

I check the valves at mid year, and again when I replace the cam chain. Every ride day starts with a fresh air filter. Oil changes always include a clean filter (I use a Scotts) and happen every 5-8 hours. If there's a race day coming up, the oil gets changed first, regardless.

Grey,

Just out of curiosity which ngk iridium are you using? I got one as a gift for my 250fx and didn't see anywhere online saying it matched the bike. Just wanted to confirm and see if you were running the same model number.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.