YZ125 for hillclimbing?

Hello I'm thinking of getting a yz125 soon and just wanted to hear some opinions of how they climb. I don't climb anything ridiculous but I like to climb. I'm 15 and weigh 140 by the way

Hello. I am a hillclimber, so I guess I climb the "ridiculous" stuff. I ride a 450, im about your weight. However a guy I ride with climbs a lot of the big hills on a 250F, so for the smaller and medium hills a YZ125 should be okay. Another thing to consider is 2 strokes require a lot more shifting and rider input for hillclimbing. So a YZ250F might be a better solution.

• Like 2

Hello. I am a hillclimber, so I guess I climb the "ridiculous" stuff. I ride a 450, im about your weight. However a guy I ride with climbs a lot of the big hills on a 250F, so for the smaller and medium hills a YZ125 should be okay. Another thing to consider is 2 strokes require a lot more shifting and rider input for hillclimbing. So a YZ250F might be a better solution.

Well I actually have a 250f right now but it's just too expensive to keep up with the maintenance because it's pretty old (2006). It does really well on hills I was just wondering how a 125 would perform. Thanks for the reply!
  • Like 2

A 125 wouldn't do near as good as your 250F. And maintenance on a 250F isn't going to change a whole lot on a 125. And 2006 isn't old. And even new bikes require maintenance.[/quoteThe thing is about the maintenance on the 125 is that it's cheaper and easier to do too ends.

*top^

No my 2 stroke snapped in half on a hill climb.

What do you mean it snapped in half

No, a YZ125 wouldn't be a good choice if you're doing a lot of hillclimbing. YZs are MX bikes, not off road bikes, they're geared very tall and have stiff, unforgiving suspensions designed for jumps on a mx track. In addition to this, the bike's a small bore 2-stroke, which won't let you lug it very well. All this adds up to a bike that will stall constantly and be difficult to keep in control on rough terrain. What you want is an enduro bike geared low for trail riding, either a four stroke or a larger bore 2 stroke.

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 2

The 125 will do great on hills. Of course I don't know anything about the area where you ride or what the conditons are but I can give you some tips. You will need to pin the throttle and control your wheel speed with the clutch. You will need speed at the entrance and you have to be ready to shift down. Any hesitation on the down-shift and you won't keep it in the power band. Hill climbing with small 2 strokes is all about keeping your rpms up. You might want to gear it down. You will become a better rider.

A 125 wouldn't do near as good as your 250F. And maintenance on a 250F isn't going to change a whole lot on a 125. And 2006 isn't old. And even new bikes require maintenance.

no buddy.... 2 strokes really are cheaper as long as you take proper care of them.....at $110 for a piston kit, $180 for a crank and bearings and 200 for a cylinder replate which is almost never needed with a well maintained bike.... and no need to buy extra oil filters

no buddy.... 2 strokes really are cheaper as long as you take proper care of them.....at $110 for a piston kit, $180 for a crank and bearings and 200 for a cylinder replate which is almost never needed with a well maintained bike.... and no need to buy extra oil filters

I've owned 4 strokes and 2 strokes and although 2 stroke overhauls are cheaper, it is needed less on 4 stroke even compared to a well maintained 2 stroke. It evens itself out. But I understand somebody wanting a 2 stroke because it can be cheaper. But for hillclimbing, at least get a YZ250 2 stroke. 

I'll probably get ripped for this but I find 125s overrated for off road riding. They stall easy, don't lug, have on / off power and don't lay traction down well. For hill climbs that are remotely technical a 125 will struggle. 250F all the way. For Moto, the 125s can be a lot of fun, but I'd still grab the 250F most of the time.

Also a top end for my newer YZF was $85 for the piston, rings and wrist pin. OEM. I'm at a 125 hours and still running the original piston. Valves checked once and are all perfectly in spec. Runs like the day I got her. Just have the kit sitting in the shop for a winter build. Good luck getting that many hours out of a 125 top end in the nasty PNW.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...