- - - - -

WR426 Street Legal wiring question

• Please sign in to reply

10 replies to this topic
  • 1slowDR

TT Member

42 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:45 AM

I have a 2001 WR426 that has been converted to street legal, I've gotten the police inspection done and have it registered. Now I would like to remove the added battery pack and go back to AC power only. I know DOT mandates the lights have to turn on without the bike running but I'm not worried about that. My plan is to run a Trail Tech 8" race light with the boatman conversion kit to avoid blinding people, and then do an LED taillight and signals, from what I've researched I believe my stator puts out 130 watts so I should be ok by my calculations but I'm not good with electricity. So my question is will this work or is it a terrible idea?

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:24 PM

I don't have a good answer for your question but I recently converted my wr450f with the tusk enduro kit and trail tech vapor, make sure to get a wiring harness unless you really like individual wires. I tried to piece together a kit on the cheap and it was a nightmare an honestly not worth the time and I ended up wasting money. To calculate if it will work you would need to know how much power each component draws and depending whether they are in parallel or series may make a difference too. but from what it sounds is that your using the battery with no external power so I think you should be ok, don't take my word on it though........

• 1slowDR

TT Member

42 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 06:10 AM

Thanks for your reply, it has a kit on it I believe, it has a battery that looks to be made up of a bunch of AA batteries, that is really my biggest problem with the whole thing. I bought it already converted, So I don't know who made the wiring harness on it.

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Your wr does not have a stock battery? like as in the one you would see in a car? The external packs that look like their made of AA's are usually added to the yz models because they have no stock battery.

• Spiritwalker2222

TT Bronze Member

290 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:57 AM

WR's didn't

Your wr does not have a stock battery? like as in the one you would see in a car? The external packs that look like their made of AA's are usually added to the yz models because they have no stock battery.

WR's didn't have a battery until 2003. The year it got electric start.

• 1slowDR

TT Member

42 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 11:47 AM

Yep, it's a kicker only precisely the reason I don't want a battery, it seems an unnecessary complication to me.

• cjohnso

TT Newbie

6 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Does the trail tech 8" light run on dc or ac? If dc you need a regulator rectifier to convert the ac to dc. The taillights and blinkers need dc. You can run just a regulator rectifier and no battery if that's how you want to do it. I recommend a battery though. The AA batteries are part of the Baja kit or whatever kit is installed.

• cjohnso

TT Newbie

6 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 08:15 PM

1slowDR you can message me with any wiring help needed. Just got mine all wired up without doing a stator mod because it is not needed!!

• 1slowDR

TT Member

42 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 06:12 AM

The Halogen one will run on either DC or AC from what I read, I'm also looking at the Baja Designs Squadron, but I think it's DC only. Thanks cjohnso I will definitely take you up on that

• Baja Designs
692 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 10:30 AM

The Halogen one will run on either DC or AC from what I read, I'm also looking at the Baja Designs Squadron, but I think it's DC only. Thanks cjohnso I will definitely take you up on that

Coming SOON we will be offering our Squadron and S2 Series Motorcycle Lighting in AC and DC... This will be a huge benefit to riders like yourself not looking to add or change anything on the bike.  Pricing will start at $219.95 for the Squadron Sport and $299.95 for the Squadron Pro.  This is currently in the pre-order stage with more information coming VERY Soon!  

www.bajadesigns.com

800-422-5292

10% Discount to all ThumperTalk Members!  

Thank You,

Bailey, Baja Designs

Edited by Baja Designs, September 21, 2016 - 10:31 AM.

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 05:41 PM

<<<Ignore this comment, I misread and try to delete>>>>

Edited by FatCowKiller, September 23, 2016 - 05:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.