- - - - -

Clutch basket problems

• Please sign in to reply

15 replies to this topic
  • FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 04:02 PM

So I need quick advice as I have to put my bike back together soon, I took the basket out because the clutch was sticking and not letting me switch gears without significant force. Upon inspection the friction plates are within specs and the basket grooves are very slim as it is not extremely rigid. Should I file them down?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160914_185256702.jpg
  • IMG_20160914_184859985.jpg
  • IMG_20160914_184859985.jpg
  • IMG_20160914_175700254.jpg

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,233 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:37 PM

Probably just have warped metal plates causing clutch drag. When replaced with factory Yamaha plates it is usually fixed.

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:14 PM

The problem is that none of them are warped as I checked the mall thoroughly, new problem as I was putting the head of the basket back on one of the heads bolts that go in the spring broke off (exploded off) before I even put it to the specified torque setting :(. Now the bottom half is stuck inside (sobs* cries*).

-Now I am leaking oil

-Also clutch lever has no pressure and I can no longer change gears to move it :(

• redhurricane

TT Titanium Member

2,880 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Personally I would have spent the time to file the basket fingers since you already had it out. 

A factory service manual is your friend, do you have one? Not sure how you break a steel bolt head off on something that threads into aluminum. 

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 07:59 PM

unfortunately I was short on time and I didn't want to accidentally make the basket worse if I could avoid it, I have the pdf it's just irritating to read through because of all the different languages taking up majority of the pages. I had it torqued to spec and as I was tightening the last couple the first one I torqued just blew apart. It was pretty weird and it definitely wasn't over torqued. I've noticed alot of the screws on my 04 wr 450f have been pretty cheap, I don't know if the previous owner replaced them or not but they are all extremely soft and do not seem to be high quality so this isn't the first time on this bike where I've had to replace some bolts/screws.

Edited by FatCowKiller, September 15, 2016 - 08:00 PM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,190 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 16, 2016 - 05:31 PM

You can't use a 'regular' torque wrench for under 15ftlbs.

Must be designed for 2-25 ft lbs.

Otherwise it will be only  +/- 30% accurate, and you will snap off bolts.

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 02:36 PM

it was a special one rated for 0-25, So I found some replacement bolts and was able to back out the bolt that broke off. I was hand tightening the screws very meticulously to ensure that no more mishaps would happen when another one of the heads exploded off and they were only about halfway in......... does anyone know of a problem with the bolts breaking so easily? it seems like every bolt and screw on the wr is super cheap. Should I replace the rest of them? as I fear they will break off when i'm driving. 

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,233 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:00 AM

Installer error previous over torqued and stretched bolts. Replace.

• Agazza

TT Bronze Member

124 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 21, 2016 - 11:46 AM

Replace and use momentum wrench

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Ok, so I'm trying to find replacement bolts for these does anyone know the hardness of the stock ones???? I'd rather not pay an arm and a leg because the prices for these online are quite high and if I could replace these easily at a hardware store I would much rather. I also saw a kit for a 2003 clutch with bolts and springs relatively on the cheap, the 03 should fit the 04?

Edited by FatCowKiller, September 23, 2016 - 05:38 PM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,190 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 23, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Ok, so I'm trying to find replacement bolts for these does anyone know the hardness of the stock ones???? I'd rather not pay an arm and a leg because the prices for these online are quite high and if I could replace these easily at a hardware store I would much rather. I also saw a kit for a 2003 clutch with bolts and springs relatively on the cheap, the 03 should fit the 04?

Grade 3 is fine.

You count the lines/dots/symbols on the head of the screw to determine it's rating, if there is no number

Gonna be hard to find at a hardware store, that long, with a shanked shaft.

Go to Partsfiche.com

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 06:27 PM

They have them there but they want me to sell my house to pay for the shipping ($11) which is completely stupid and outrageous. I found 8.8 zinc plated steel ones at the hardware store which is equivalent to grade 5??

Edited by FatCowKiller, September 23, 2016 - 06:28 PM.

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 06:32 PM

In addition to the last post will friction plates from an 09 and 03 fit a 2004? They look exactly the same in the pictures and I don't see anything online that says they changed the shape or size.

• Krannie McKranface
36,190 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:09 AM

They have them there but they want me to sell my house to pay for the shipping ($11) which is completely stupid and outrageous. I found 8.8 zinc plated steel ones at the hardware store which is equivalent to grade 5??

I guess I am not a cheap as you....$11 to ship anything , anywhere, is very cheap. 

Try driving it your self and see what that costs...

• FatCowKiller

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:39 AM

I guess I am not a cheap as you....$11 to ship anything , anywhere, is very cheap. 

Try driving it your self and see what that costs...

There are these  boxes called flat rate boxes that ship anywhere in the u.s for roughly  $7 I dont like supporting people with hidden costs

• Krannie McKranface
36,190 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 24, 2016 - 06:50 AM

They probably use UPS exclusively, because USPS will not honor any insurance claims unless you go to court....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.