WR450 - Octane rating?

8 replies to this topic
  • OkieRider

Posted March 18, 2004 - 05:45 PM

While doing some research on the WR450 I read in the service manual that Yamaha recommends 95 octane gas. Has anyone used anything less? If so, was there any major problems - pinging, power loss etc.?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 18, 2004 - 05:50 PM

You can run as low as 87 at high altitude. Dont worry about it. I run 92/93 all the time without issues. :)

• latehit

Posted March 18, 2004 - 05:51 PM

I believe that is the Research Octane rating not the pump octane rating. (r+m)/2 The research octane rating is higher than the pump label simply by the mathmatical equation. I am pretty sure the equation is correct. I use premium pump gas and I have yet to hear a ping and it seems to run great.
Just my 2 cents. :)

• simon@vic

Posted March 18, 2004 - 07:06 PM

anything 91 and higher wil be fine.
AVOID SHELL GAS esp in canada.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dominator426

Posted March 18, 2004 - 09:27 PM

Mine actually had a slight ping, especially in mid-RPM's, with the Esso 92 PON (pump octane number; r+m/2). It then worsened when they switched to 91 PON (=95 motor octane number, as prescribed in WR's manual) last fall. I will now run 1/3 100 LL(low lead) aviation fuel with 2/3 91 PON which will give me 94 octane fuel... We're not so lucky to have it readily available at the pump up here but we do have an airport. :)

• simon@vic

Posted March 18, 2004 - 09:29 PM

i use chevron 94 or petro can 94. both are very good fuels.

• JVP

Posted March 19, 2004 - 09:18 AM

I use a mix of race gas (110) and pump gas (91) at a 2 to 3 ratio. It is pretty close to the recommended octane of 95-96. I found that at the higher octanes there is no backfires on decelerations. This is just my opinion: The motor runs cooler with higher octane gas. Cooler is more power! :)

• JVP

Posted March 19, 2004 - 09:21 AM

Why Shell? I herd this before. I use Shell in California with no problems? What's up? :)

• ckulzer

Posted March 19, 2004 - 09:44 AM

I have had good luck with mixing 92 octane unleaded pump gas and 100 octane unleaded together in a 50/50 ratio. I was getting a slight ping under heavy, low rpm loads. My bike has only seen one tank of straight 92 since I bought it last spring.

The comment about popping is an interesting one - I have not had any bog or popping issues.

Ride fast - take chances

Chad

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.