• YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Instagram
  • RSS Feed
  • Google+

Photo
- - - - -

Slipper Clutch for 2012 WR450F? YZF450 ATV? Adige?

• Please sign in to reply

14 replies to this topic
  • dirznut

TT Bronze Member

237 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 10:12 AM

Hello! I'm in search of a slipper that will fit my 2012, can anyone point me in the right direction? There are a couple take-off 2014-2016 YFZ450 oem slippers that the seller states fit our bikes, but are they really just drop-in? 

Thanks!

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hello! I'm in search of a slipper that will fit my 2012, can anyone point me in the right direction? There are a couple take-off 2014-2016 YFZ450 oem slippers that the seller states fit our bikes, but are they really just drop-in? 

Thanks!

I'm not sure what your looking to slip. If it's a supermoto bike I would recommend a Hinson BTL slipper clutch. I use one in my supermoto WR450 and it works flawlessly.

Someone has used a YFZ and I believe it took a little work to make it fit. But I'm not sure of how well it would work.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,210 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Some info. http://www.thumperta...lutch-in-my-wr/

• Pinepig

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 11:13 AM

Thanks!

In a 12,  yes,  straight drop in,   you will need the entire clutch assembly,  plates/frictions all of it.

• dirznut

TT Bronze Member

237 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 12:44 PM

In a 12,  yes,  straight drop in,   you will need the entire clutch assembly,  plates/frictions all of it.

Is this all I would need? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/z3jrL

Or would I also need the basket, thrust, etc?

Edited by dirznut, September 13, 2016 - 12:56 PM.

• Pinepig

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 01:01 PM

It slides right into the stock basket.    You'll need the bearing assembly that rides on the pressure plate at the end of the clutch pushrod too.   The hole in the center of the pressure plate that it rides in is slightly larger than the stock WR450 pressure plate.

• dirznut

TT Bronze Member

237 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for all your help. 

http://imgur.com/a/TDAvo - YFZ clutch microfiche

Just need #24? Or #24-#26?

Edited by dirznut, September 13, 2016 - 01:16 PM.

• Pinepig

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 02:05 PM

23-4-5-and 6.

• dirznut

TT Bronze Member

237 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:45 PM

Ordered! I'll post back when the parts get here and document the drop-in!

• Pinepig

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Ordered! I'll post back when the parts get here and document the drop-in!

Somebody has to do it,   I'm such a lazy F*!(

• trm122

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Any update?

• dirznut

TT Bronze Member

237 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:12 AM

Slipper came in, waiting on corresponding YFZ parts. Fingers crossed!

• dirznut

TT Bronze Member

237 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Update-

I'm mid install and I'm a bit stuck. The WR push rod head is hollow with a ball bearing inside. The YFZ push rod head is solid and does not seat far enough inwards with the ball bearing in place (usually the ball bearing goes inside the hollow WR piece). Do I just forego the ball bearing?

• Pinepig

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 05:07 AM

Update-

I'm mid install and I'm a bit stuck. The WR push rod head is hollow with a ball bearing inside. The YFZ push rod head is solid and does not seat far enough inwards with the ball bearing in place (usually the ball bearing goes inside the hollow WR piece). Do I just forego the ball bearing?

Try backing the clutch cable out fully to give the required space.   I had to adjust mine to a new position too.    The ball bearing is there in both setups if you look at the parts diagrams.   

• dirznut

TT Bronze Member

237 posts

Posted September 23, 2016 - 06:36 AM

I ended up not using the YFZ pushrod and reusing the WR pushrod. The YFZ is a solid piece where as the WR is a hollow piece. Since both use a ball bearing, the ball bearing sits inside the WR pushrod and shortens the whole pushrod assembly. I tried using the ball bearing with the YFZ pushrod but I couldn't get the clutch back together, the pushrod was too long.

LAYqjQWr.jpg
Here are the parts, about $250 in total shipped but I believe you can get away with just the clutch. New YFZ slippers are floating around eBay for 200 bucks.

1sBgf5Br.jpg
YFZ pushrod head on the left, WR on the right. There may have been a difference in diameter but I couldn't tell. Both sat against the clutch top correctly iirc, but I could be wrong in having used the WR piece.

CAUX3yc.jpg
Mid-install, YFZ clutch boss drops right in. 54 ft/lbs on the nut.

Clutch operates as it should and might have even made clutch pull lighter/ shifting smoother. Will report back on slipper function.

Edited by dirznut, September 23, 2016 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.