Idle problem??? Help!

8 replies to this topic
  • dhowell

Posted April 04, 2002 - 02:04 PM

The last time I rode my bike it stalled on me about three times. Once was while coasting down a hill with the clutch in. It felt like it was just idling low (I guess I should stay on the gas more, hahaha). Today I started it up to check and see if the idle needed to be adjusted or something. It was alreay turned as far as it would go. Obviously something else is going on here. Any suggestions?

• BigLou

Posted April 04, 2002 - 03:27 PM

Provided everything else is working correctly, if you cna't get the idle to adjust and it is idling at very low rpm, I would move up one on the pilot fuel jet. That should do it (again, providing that there are no other problems like a clogged pilot jet, etc.). :)

Posted April 05, 2002 - 07:05 AM

To start make sure your intake manifold is air tight and your air filter is clean. If the bike has sat over the winter? I would clean the carb, and be sure the pilot jet is clean. :)

• dhowell

Posted April 05, 2002 - 07:12 AM

I have had the bike for a little over a year and it has never sat over three weeks without being ridden. How often do you guys usually clean your cards? I had just cleaned the air filter the ride before I started to have problems, but I will clean that again as well as look at the other suggestions. Thanks for your replies.

As a side note, how do you know when your valves need to be checked/adjusted?

Thanks again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 05, 2002 - 07:30 AM

I am in the process of going through the bike now, the third time since I got it in Jan 2002.

I put about 20 hours on the bike, I have gone through the Crab once this will make the 2nd time.

I (personally) will go through the bike about every third ride. What I mean by gowing through is
"Carb, valves, Oil Filter change Oil Every other ride, Lube and tighting things up back to torque value.

On a ride to ride I usually go through, Air Filter checking for cracks in the air box and looking for dust, Chain and general once over with the torque wrench.

I just like to tinker it keeps me buzy and out of my wifes hair during those PMS weeks :)

Ooops forgot, These guys are right if the bike is idling rough or not at all, then it would be a good idea to clean the carb real good.

Also just a question, What Octane level do you buy in gas for the beast

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 05, 2002 - 09:29 AM

If this problem started for no aparant reason and did not start immediately after some changes then I would assume that something is dirty, worn and/or out of adjustment. Start by cleaning the carb since that is the easiest. From there I would check the valves. Overly tight valves will definitely affect the idle. I would not ride it further until checking the valves, if they're leaking because they're overly tight then you could burn the seats and/or valves and that's no fun to fix. If this doesn't help then let us know. Hope this helps!

• dhowell

Posted April 05, 2002 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for all your comments. I will be giving the carbs a cleaning tonight (I guess that will keep me out of trouble). To answer the question from EgoAhole, I have always used the high octane. I guess I will finally be learning how to adjust my valves.

• dhowell

Posted April 08, 2002 - 02:03 AM

I just wanted to thank you guys again. I cleaned the carb out real good and changed my plug since I had the tank off. Put it back together, adjusted the idle and it's running great. Actually ran a hare scrable at budds creek yesterday. I guess that is my lesson not to be lazy and to keep up on my maintenance. I guess this weeks project is valves.

Thanks again, once again you guys saved me.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 08, 2002 - 12:53 PM

Side note, make sure you let the air cleaner get good and dry prior to starting the engine. It pull so hard it WILL, not can, but will pull excess oil out of the filter if its still not dried.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.