WR450F Chain is wearing frame and subframe

• Please sign in to reply

3 replies to this topic
  • Nathh

TT Member

47 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 02:26 AM

Hey guys,

It appears that my chain sometimes hits the inside of the frame and the subframe as its slightly worn through both. 

Does anyone know a solution to this? I've checked and the chain is perfectly tensioned.

Is there any aftermarket chain slider that stops the chain having so much side to side movement?

I'm worried about it as the bike is a 2012 WR450F with only 1900km and theres already a decent amount of wear.

Thanks guys.

• stevethe

TT Addict

4,890 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 11, 2016 - 04:48 AM

They will rub sometimes. Especially if you have a crappy chain. Get the best Xring chain you can get.

• Krannie McKranface
35,634 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 11, 2016 - 05:14 AM

Some of us wrap the subframe in additional metals to act as a rub strip

If as mentioned you use a good x or o ring chain and align the wheel by measuring  (not by the hash marks) so it is straight, or using a motion pro chain/wheel alignment tool, it will minimize the problem.

• svrider650

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I took a piece of plastic from a thick water, gateraid bottle and zip tied it to the sub frame, this has worked remarkably well, I have to replace a zip ty once in a while, but my sub frame has remained unmarred!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.