2016/17 WR450 A good dualsport?

5 replies to this topic
  • Antsavas

Posted September 09, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Reading this website is fantastic. So much knowledge, and hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction.
Would like to know are these bikes able to comfortably handle an occasional 30 min highway commute?
Looking to get back in the saddle and do some trail/woods riding with my 12y/o son(xr70), but also miss street riding as well.
The emotional brain wants the WR450.
My logical side says a drz 400 makes much more sense.
Would love to hear some opinions.
Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 09, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Depends on what you mean by 'a commute' .....

If you mean 60mph+ in traffic on a multi lane higway, I would go DRZ first, but probably a KTM 690 or even a Honda XR650L first.

If you mean a two lane interstate road, 60 mph max speeds, then yes, it will be fine.

You will have to gear up from stock to 14/51 to get it to work out well for long highway rides.

It  will still be buzzy, and the wind will buffet you constantly without a faring.

• TwentyFive20

Posted September 09, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Reading this website is fantastic. So much knowledge, and hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction.
Would like to know are these bikes able to comfortably handle an occasional 30 min highway commute?
Looking to get back in the saddle and do some trail/woods riding with my 12y/o son(xr70), but also miss street riding as well.
The emotional brain wants the WR450.
My logical side says a drz 400 makes much more sense.
Would love to hear some opinions.
Thanks

I ride my 2016 WR450 about 10/90. I absolutely LOVE it for that. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Would I enjoy riding it for 500 miles of nonstop pavement? Not so much. But then I don't think I'd enjoy running my 2015 Ducati Scrambler on that much consecutive pavement neither.

For getting across pavement to get to dirt to get to single track and back, the WR is fantastic.

For your purposes I can certainly imagine going with taller gears, although if I was going to set one up as a DS city bike I'd lower it as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Antsavas

Posted September 10, 2016 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the timely replies!
I know the drz won't be as fun riding woods/trails with my son. Even on his xr70, he loves the hill climbs and small jumps in the gravel pits behind our house.
At 5ft7", I would have to lower the WR, also a concern.
I have a 30min mostly 4lane highway ride to work that I would occasionally like to take by bike. I guess I'm trying to convince myself I could handle this commute on the WR, even though the drz is more suited.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 10, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Not a big difference between the DRZ and the WR, accept for the DRZ would be less rough of a ride.

Do NOT lower you bike if you can help it. 

Get a low seat.

• stevethe

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:12 AM

There isn't much seat to lower on 16' model. You pretty much need to shorten the suspenders internally front and rear.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.