- - - - -

2009 yz 450f hanging idle

• Please sign in to reply

17 replies to this topic
  • Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 06:08 PM

So about a week ago i bought a 2009 yz 450f and today was the first day i actually got to ride it for like an hour. After it is warm and you let off the throttle the rpms stay high and it takes 5 sec for it to idle down or i have to let the clutch out so it almost stalls so the motor can slow down again. Does anybody know why it would be doing this?

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Hanging idle is common

First you must correctly adjust the fuel screw to see if it is just not correctly adusted.

..but most likey for hanging idle that bad, you probaby have an air leak.

Most common places are a corroded hot start plunger, or broken hot start cable cap, worn out or missing slide plate seal, loose air boots, cracked air boots, badly leaking header crush washer or mid joint seal, or even a missing or worn out fuel screw oring ( very common)

You adjust the fuel screw with a hot motor, starting at 1 turn out and then lowering the idle as low as it will go

Then you raise the idle with the fuel screw.

If it goes to high, lower it with the idle screw and check to see if you can raise it again with the fuel screw.

Your goal is apporx 1.5 turns out, if you have the correct pilot size.

If your start with a high idle and try to adjust the fuel screw, you will get a hanging idle that way too.

• Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 11:56 PM

Alright ill try and do the ajusting and if that doesnt work you are saying i should pull the carb and the boots off and check for any of the things you listed above?

• damnbiker94

TT Member

58 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 04:06 AM

I agree with the remedy posted above. But go that route only after you confirm that the throttle tube and throttle cables are clean and lubed.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 06:59 AM

Hanging idle nearly never has to do with the cables hanging up and the slide not dropping.

You can of course confirm this by tilting up the subframe, marking the slide and intake with a sharpie, then viewing the slide while idle is hanging.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Another place to look is your valve clearances.  Tight intakes will cause this.

• Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:46 AM

So i took off the valve cover to check the valve clearences as i had not done it since i got the bike and the first thing i noticed was that the cam lobes were not facing oppisite directions as you can see in the picture. I believe the timing is set up correctly as the two dots are the in the same place?

1473536672712.jpg 1473536676483.jpg 1473536679182.jpg 1473536683438.jpg

• Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:49 AM

The intake cam has two dots as well is that ehy they are not facing the oppsisite of each other? Why would there be two dots?

1473536909793.jpg

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 01:41 PM

You need to download the service manual from Yamaha's website

• Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 02:05 PM

Alright well i looked at the manual and i can see that the two marks are normal i jjst couldnt see it on the exhaust cam. So the timing is alright but it didnt show where the cam lobes should be. I thought they were supposed to be facing the exact oppisite from each other so correct me if im wrong. 1473545121964.jpg 1473545124249.jpg

• jwleonard

TT Member

29 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 02:17 PM

You are going down the rabbit hole with this. Pay attention to where the valves are and you will see the open at different times even when the look like they are in the same position. Think about it, if your intake and exhaust valves were opening at the same time the bike would run at all. Just check the clearances and move on to air leaks, jetting, and adjustments.

Edited by jwleonard, September 10, 2016 - 02:18 PM.

• Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 03:41 PM

I also got the carb apart and there is alotta rust in the hot start plunger whole how would i go about cleaning that?

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 06:14 PM

Use a brass pistol brush on the carb.

Looks to me as if you seized the intake cam and made it slip in its sprocket.  Replace the intake cam, the timing chain and tensioner, and have the head repaired if the cam bore is galled.

• damnbiker94

TT Member

58 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hanging idle nearly never has to do with the cables hanging up and the slide not dropping.
You can of course confirm this by tilting up the subframe, marking the slide and intake with a sharpie, then viewing the slide while idle is hanging.

I disagree. Frayed cable, filthy gummed up cables, or dirt jammed in the throttle tube causes hanging idle or even worse with a quickness.

• Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Use a brass pistol brush on the carb.

Looks to me as if you seized the intake cam and made it slip in its sprocket. Replace the intake cam, the timing chain and tensioner, and have the head repaired if the cam bore is galled.

So if the cam were to siez up and make the lobe slip in its sprocket it would still run and cause the hanging idle? It runs perfectly through all gears with all the power it just has the hanging idle when i let off the throttle. I would think that if it slipped on its sprocket that the bike would not run at all?

• Crypticjolt

TT Newbie

12 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:27 PM

I disagree. Frayed cable, filthy gummed up cables, or dirt jammed in the throttle tube causes hanging idle or even worse with a quickness.

When i took out the carb and pulled the throttle cable the return cable was frayed a little underneath the carb cover. Would that be a cause?

• damnbiker94

TT Member

58 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Replace it. Also do a spark plug reading. If the plug indicates a lean condition, check for vacuum leaks and confirm valve clearances are within specs.

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:15 PM

So if the cam were to siez up and make the lobe slip in its sprocket it would still run and cause the hanging idle? It runs perfectly through all gears with all the power it just has the hanging idle when i let off the throttle. I would think that if it slipped on its sprocket that the bike would not run at all?

It depends on how far it slips, but the intake lobe in the picture is too far toward horizontal (they normally look like the picture), and retarded intake timing will cause an unstable idle, among other things.  But you weren't wrong; If it slips far enough, or the chain jumps, it can not only stop running, the valves can end up hitting the piston and as much as destroy the engine.

Cam seizures aren't always, or maybe even usually total.  A lot of them are just momentary events that drag on the cam just long enough to leave a mark.  If this happens at the wrong time, it can cause the sprocket to slip on the shaft just that much.

Have you had the cam out?  Did you check for any indication of seizure/scoring damage in the cam bores?

Attached Thumbnails

• lobes.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.