* * * * -

Related Garage

2016 yz450f.jpg

Yamaha YZ450F (2016)

Owner: Goof331
Added on December 04, 2016
Photo
- - - - -

Hour meter running faster than GYTR Tuner?

• Please sign in to reply

10 replies to this topic
  • Zackdocks

TT Member

74 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 08:17 PM

So I installed an hour meter after putting 20 hours on my bike, which I bought new. Now when I check the hour meter against the tuner display, it's 12 hours HIGHER than the tuner reads. What gives?? Tuner has never been reset :confused:

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 11:24 AM

If you have an option for firing each revolution or every other, be sure you set it to every revolution.  Sometimes this will appear as "2-stroke or 4-stroke", in which case you choose 2-stroke.  Depending on how it comes up with the run time, you could be off by a factor of two.

Some of the simplest ones just run a clock whenever current is present, but some of the ones that include tachs are different.

• jamiehughes

TT Bronze Member

244 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 09, 2016 - 03:31 PM

if this is a "wireless" hour meter some people have had problems with them reading incorrectly because they sense vibration to turn on and they were having them come on and record time on the bike just during transporting them.. this hasn't happened to me personally, i've had really good luck with the wireless units but i read about some having issues with them.

Edited by jamiehughes, September 09, 2016 - 03:31 PM.

• Dklassen

TT Gold Member

1,098 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:06 AM

I just checked my 2014 YZ450F that I bought in a crate. I put a Dr D hour meter on it before the bike was started. I used the GYTR tuner to re-map it prior to starting too. The hour meter reads 20.5 hours and the tuner shows 18.37 hours. The Dr D hour meter is wired to the spark plug boot and has no adjustment capabilities. That's more than a 10% difference. I'm tempted to believe the tuner over the meter.
Any thoughts on this?

• Zackdocks

TT Member

74 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 10:52 AM

No settings on this one and it's wired. Very strange. The problem must be Made in China I suppose, might as well throw it in the trash.

• Dklassen

TT Gold Member

1,098 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 16, 2016 - 12:47 PM

No settings on this one and it's wired. Very strange. The problem must be Made in China I suppose, might as well throw it in the trash.

Like I posted earlier I'm more apt to believe the tuner than the meter because the bike's computer should be a more accurate measure. Might I suggest you wear a watch with a chronograph and time your run hours compared to the meter. If the meter is that far out then get rid of it. I have a 10% error which I can work around but yours seems much greater.

• William1
40,128 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 16, 2016 - 12:53 PM

Meters will always read more hours than the ECU. ECU starts and stops the clock when the engine is actually running. The meter starts with the first kick and if you do not kick it again, most meters run for 15 or so seconds before shutting off. When you shut off the bike, the meter runs for 15 more seconds or so.This adds up.

A real Hobbs meter is activated whenever there is power applied. So on say a tractor, if the key is on and the engine not running, it is still counting the time. Click, click, click...............

• JETMX1985

TT Bronze Member

221 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Mine does the same thing on my 16. It started out only being alittle ahead. But now the bike reads 26 and the tuner reads about 2 less.

• Ride_Flip_Repeat

TT Bronze Member

485 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Was very happy when I took a chance on a 2013 450f that the guy said there was 56 hours on it. He had an external timer and I showed up with the GYTR which showed 53 hours. Funny that I see this thread and this happened just 2 days ago.

• Dklassen

TT Gold Member

1,098 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2016 - 06:11 PM

Was very happy when I took a chance on a 2013 450f that the guy said there was 56 hours on it. He had an external timer and I showed up with the GYTR which showed 53 hours. Funny that I see this thread and this happened just 2 days ago.

He should have charged you more than his asking price because it had less hours...

• Zackdocks

TT Member

74 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Ahahaha Yea I believe the going rate is $90/hr

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.