YZ450FX fail safe functions

3 replies to this topic
  • mxrider4life847

Posted September 08, 2016 - 07:58 PM

While I was searching for a new bike a few months ago, one of the dealers told me that this bike has multiple fail safe functions. I read through the manual and the only thing I see is the "lean angle sensor" which shuts the bike off when laid over, I assume. I also read that after 7 mins of idle, it will shut off.

A couple things the dealer told me that I don't see mentioned in the manual; If it gets too hot (coolant sensor) it will shut off. He also said that if it senses no oil pressure, it won't run. He told me a story that he sold a bike to a guy and after one of his oil changes the bike ran for a bit then died... And wouldn't even try to start. He checked the oil and there was none. Turns out that supposedly his son did the oil change and didn't put the drain bolt in correctly and it lost all of its oil... He put oil in it and it ran, as if nothing ever happened.

Can anyone confirm any of this to be true?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 09, 2016 - 07:11 AM

I don't believe there is an oil pressure sensor. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Must have been more familiar with some of the road bikes.  The FX does have a coolant temp sensor, and a lean angle sensor (which is NOT integrated into the ECU), but no oil pressure sender.  We have reports from riders already who have boiled an FX over and it never quit running, so I'm going to doubt that one unless you have to get the thing hot as... to make it shut down.  Eventually, that would happen on its own, but who wants to go there?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 09, 2016 - 03:18 PM

Sounds like oh-so typical dealer big-fat-claims selling techique.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.