2014 wr450f common issues/traits

• Please sign in to reply

10 replies to this topic
  • lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 12:49 PM

hello all,

i am looking at a gently used 2014 wr450f.  the things is in great condition and the price is good.  it has a gytr slip on and ecu.

what should i beware of if i buy it?  common issues?  common mods?

i had a crf450x and sold it last summer.  have been riding an aprilia mxv450.  so i ma looking at going back up in weight and sluggish handling, but what i have read is that the wr450 handles much better than the 450x.  the mxv is an extremely sharp handling bike so i will have to get used to riding a wr.

comments?

thank you in advance

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2140.JPG
  • IMG_2129.JPG
  • IMG_2136.JPG
  • IMG_2137.JPG
  • IMG_2138.JPG
  • IMG_2134.JPG
  • IMG_2133.JPG
  • IMG_2139.JPG
  • IMG_2131.JPG
  • IMG_2132.JPG

Edited by lucati, September 08, 2016 - 12:51 PM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,189 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 08, 2016 - 05:43 PM

Search " 2012 WR" in this forum

Search "CO settings'

Search " hard starting" ( relative to above CO posts)

That's about it.

That bike already has the pipe upgrade. If there is no deceleration popping, then the ECU has been upgraded and probably mapped too.

If it's hard to start, that is common, and there is simple fix.

Otherwise, it's a nearly perfect model bike.

• lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 03:17 AM

thank you for taking the time to put in your thoughts.  i am glad to hear good things.

plan is to pick up the bike saturday(tomorrow)

• lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 06:18 PM

bike purchase fell through.  halfway into the 5 hour drive to get the bike the owner got me the vin.  i immediately did a lien check and boom, bank has a lien on it.  in the usa that would be the bank holds the title.  turned around at that point.  told buyer that i am still interested if he gets the lien cleared.

• Pinepig

TT Member

75 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 06:55 PM

When I bought my 12 the bank still owned it.    I just met the guy at the bank that carried the loan,  paid it off there,  gave him the leftover and the bank signed it over to me on the spot.   Had the pink from the bank in two days.

It could be an option for you IF the loan is carried by a local ( to him ) bank.

• lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 06:06 AM

he might still be upside down on the loan too.  he tells me he wants the money from the sale to use for a house down payment.  i told him to get it straightened out and let me know because i am still interested.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 06:13 AM

Getting it paid to the bank on the spot is a good idea along with simple paperwork stating what all the parties intent are.

I once bought a boat with a bank loan. I ended up giving him a down payment. Then I paid the bank the balance however I believe the pink went to the original owner to be signed. Luckily there were no issues. At one point the owner got nervous a day later and called me to say that he didn't like me having his boat because it wasn't paid for. I told him I paid you a down and some of that you need to give to the bank and I am paying off the boat with the bank. Additionally neither one of us owns the boat. The bank owns it, if it not paid off the repo man will take it and give it back to the bank.

The bank was not local and it was a pain. The good part was I just sold the boat 10 years later for what I paid for it. :thumbsup:

Edited by stevethe, September 10, 2016 - 06:14 AM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,189 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 06:55 AM

Getting it paid to the bank on the spot is a good idea along with simple paperwork stating what all the parties intent are.

I once bought a boat with a bank loan. I ended up giving him a down payment. Then I paid the bank the balance however I believe the pink went to the original owner to be signed. Luckily there were no issues. At one point the owner got nervous a day later and called me to say that he didn't like me having his boat because it wasn't paid for. I told him I paid you a down and some of that you need to give to the bank and I am paying off the boat with the bank. Additionally neither one of us owns the boat. The bank owns it, if it not paid off the repo man will take it and give it back to the bank.

The bank was not local and it was a pain. The good part was I just sold the boat 10 years later for what I paid for it. :thumbsup:

Ah yes, boat owership stories.  Do they ever end with anything but a 'good ridance' ?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,231 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:14 AM

Ah yes, boat owership stories.  Do they ever end with anything but a 'good ridance' ?

Not really they say the best day of ownership is buying it and then selling it.

• Krannie McKranface
36,189 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Not really they say the best day of ownership is buying it and then selling it.

How can you tell if you mechanic is charging too much?

By the amount of Boats he owns.

• lucati

TT Bronze Member

197 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:03 AM

in my weighing of options regarding a new to me bike, i am also considering ktm 500s.  though i know i will get biased opinion in the wr forum i will still pose the questions.  try to be unbiased, lol.

how is it that ktm can produce a 500 with more power and weighs about 20lbs less?  where is the weight difference?

which bike would be more reliable?

which bike is more maintenance intensive?  does the wr450 have only one oil compartment?

i lean toward yamaha because i feel the bike will be solid and reliable, it has way more performance than i will ever be able to use, i kinda like bucking trends and going against the orange grain suits me fine, i will save about $3k going blue, etc...

moto cross bike are out.  450x is out.  2t would be considered(brings up more questions, lol).  maybe a ktm300 or yz250x?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.