- - - - -

Running wr400f without/with a small amount coolant

• Please sign in to reply

5 replies to this topic
  • Moxxi

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 01:12 AM

Hello! I own a wr400f 99. Yesterday I was out in the wood with it, on a small trail with a lot of rocks and trees. So i had to go slow for a long time. When I got out of the woods I stopped to let the bike cool down a little bit. Dumb as I am, I opened the radiator cap (I know you should not open it warm) the coolant was boiling and a lot of coolant bubbeld and squirted out. I think it was some small amount of coolant left in the radiator but not much.

I rode the bike home which was about a 2 km ride. I took small pauses about every 2 min to let her cool down a little bit. Now i'm worried that the engine have been damage :( .

Is it anything to be worried about or am i just being paranoid?

(sorry for my bad english... :rolleyes:)

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 08, 2016 - 03:58 AM

Should be fine.

....but don't stop when it's over heating, always speed up.

• Moxxi

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Should be fine.

....but don't stop when it's over heating, always speed up.

Oh Great!! so speeding up is cooling the engine more than turning it of? good to know  :thumbsup:

• tcmII

TT Bronze Member

337 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 01:02 PM

I did something similar in that I hit the radiator on a small tree, so no coolant at all.  Was about 5 miles from camp, so I rode slow and took some breaks along the way.  Repaired radiator (thank you Meylers) and changed the oil.  That was 3-4 years ago.  still running fine.

• toten

TT Silver Member

583 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 08:34 AM

It's certainly possible that you did serious damage, but it's also possible that you didn't. 

FYI you can be seriously burned by taking a cap off a hot cooling system. Don't do it again...

Stopping (and turning the bike off) to let it cool down can help if it's getting really hot.

• Bryan Bosch
19,357 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 22, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hello! I own a wr400f 99. Yesterday I was out in the wood with it, on a small trail with a lot of rocks and trees. So i had to go slow for a long time. When I got out of the woods I stopped to let the bike cool down a little bit. Dumb as I am, I opened the radiator cap (I know you should not open it warm) the coolant was boiling and a lot of coolant bubbeld and squirted out. I think it was some small amount of coolant left in the radiator but not much.

I rode the bike home which was about a 2 km ride. I took small pauses about every 2 min to let her cool down a little bit. Now i'm worried that the engine have been damage :( .

Is it anything to be worried about or am i just being paranoid?

(sorry for my bad english... :rolleyes:)

The WR400F has a coolant overflow bottle, right? If so, it's likely there was coolant there from the boil over that got sucked back in as you rode home. I'd top the coolant level off and ride it. Afterwords, check your oil to see if it's milky from a warped head or the like. Knowing the robustness of that motor, I'd' bet you're good. Remember, it still had oil and your didn't ride very far home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.