how tight do i get the valve cover bolts??????

7 replies to this topic
  • booda

Posted March 18, 2004 - 11:54 AM

i recently stripped out the small valve cover bolt hole i was able to rethread it using a tap. i then proceeded to tighten the bolt finger tight and then put a socket on it and got it snug. i hope it holds. any suggestions would be appreciated :) i love this bike

• Throttlejockey

Posted March 18, 2004 - 11:57 AM

I'm sure it's fine. If you're that concerned you could Loctite it.

• jcole24

Posted March 18, 2004 - 12:23 PM

I twisted off on of the long one's before I looked in the book, to find it only torque's to 7 foot-pounds. I always use loctite, that's not a very tight bolt. :)

• CRF_mad

Posted March 18, 2004 - 05:49 PM

I just recently snapped 2 of them off on my bike, I couldn't figure It out, then I looked at the last bolt I had left and the threads were majorly stressed. I think honda made those bolts weak so you couldn't over tighten them, and break the seal between the cylinder head, and cylinder head cover. Because that gasket Is glued on the Cylinder head cover (valve cover) over tightening could break the glue bond. :) Locktite should work fine, But I don't think there's a prob with them coming loose, because they have rubber washers that keep them from vibrating, and then loosening. I'm just going to torque mine down to 7ft. lbs, and leave It. I think why mine snapped off was due to over tightening the first time I checked my valves, then the second time (now) they just couldn't take anymore. Thats just my Two Cents! :D

------------------------------
__________.:2004 CRF450:.__________

<ul type="square">[*]Fastway Accesories....Cable Clip, Case Saver, Clutch Bracket, F3 Footpegs,and Axle Blocks
[*]Works Connection Skid Plate, Engine Gaurds, Frame Gaurds, Brake Caliper Gaurd, Rad Braces, and Anodized Goodies
[*]ASV Rotator Clamp
[*]LightSpeed Carbon Fiber Fork Wraps
[*]Tach/Hour Meter
[*]Polished Side Cases
[*]Nology Hot-Wire
[*]Fuel Line Mod
[*]Zip-Ty Fuel Mixture Screw
[*]Factory R&D P-38 lighting
[*]AirBox Mod
[*]Back-Fire Screen Mod
[*]Twin-Air Air Filter
[*]D.I.D ERT Gold Chain
[*]Renthal 49T Sprocket
[*]13-49 Gearing[/list]------------------------------

Don't Hesitate Accelerate!!!! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HondaDirtRider5

Posted March 18, 2004 - 06:51 PM

remember its just a valve cover....so that means no pressure in there its just keeping dust out and the splashing oil in, not too tight i always use box end wreches to do the final tightening on bolts because i get less leverage and have a history of snapping bolts

also remember its rubber gasket and a bolt with a thick rubber washer so its not gonna bottom out or ever get very tight at al...with all that rubber compressing it should seal at a relativly low tourqe

• CRF_mad

Posted March 18, 2004 - 07:02 PM

Exactly! :D

<ul type="square">[*]Fastway Accesories....Cable Clip, Case Saver, Clutch Bracket, F3 Footpegs,and Axle Blocks
[*]Works Connection Skid Plate, Engine Gaurds, Frame Gaurds, Brake Caliper Gaurd, Rad Braces, and Anodized Goodies
[*]ASV Rotator Clamp
[*]Tach/Hour Meter
[*]Polished Side Cases
[*]Nology Hot-Wire
[*]Fuel Line Mod
[*]AirBox Mod
[*]Back-Fire Screen Mod
[*]Twin-Air Air Filter
[*]D.I.D ERT Gold Chain
[*]Renthal 49T Sprocket

Don't Hesitate Accelerate!!!! :)

• VerticalXtreme

Posted March 18, 2004 - 07:35 PM

I think the torque spec Honda uses is to HIGH on some of their bolts!!! There head bolts and valve covers are just two of them....

KTM is even worse....

I have a long history of very high level mechanics under my belt--- so I have learned to modify what they spec to what I think it should be... Especially on (not brand new) components........!!!!!

A torque wrench and paying attention to what your hands are feeling is #1....

I have rebuilt many CRF engines and have come to the same conclusion countless times. More or spec is not always better.

And loctite is great stuff, but there are places it does not belong... Ex: There is a valve cover bolt hole that functions as a oil gallery. ="s could be a expensive loctite job on that bolt !!!

Vert :)

• CRF_mad

Posted March 19, 2004 - 05:32 AM

What Torque do you recommend. I'm really open to Ideas, and since you've been around them, you would know! :) Thanks!!!! :D

[*]ASV Rotator Clamp
[*]Tach/Hour Meter
[*]Polished Side Cases
[*]Nology Hot-Wire
[*]Fuel Line Mod
[*]AirBox Mod
[*]Back-Fire Screen Mod
[*]Twin-Air Air Filter
[*]D.I.D ERT Gold Chain
[*]Renthal 49T Sprocket

Don't Hesitate Accelerate!!!! :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 crf450 suspension by DHS_sponsored

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Who put a pond there? by ZDeWitt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF450R 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF450R 2015
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Hillguitar
  • On October 09, 2014
Forums
Photo

2007 crf450 stuck in gear by Jackthomas1989

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

15 crf450 vs 15 yz450 by Emkjr93

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.