Just purchased a 99 YZ400, Realizing that my OEM carb is not letting my bike idling and preparing to do the carb conversion

1 reply to this topic
  • Parker856

Posted September 07, 2016 - 06:23 PM

So i looked at just about every post i could find on here about the conversion, and i know they are pretty much plug and go besides stretching the boot a little. If i remember correctly the 02-09 will work, but the 05+ are slightly better.. it is very slim pickings right now from what i can find of the YZ450f carbs, none of them have any of the cables included and are $200+.. i just replaced the intake and exhaust cam with the HotCams for the auto decompression so i have that lever for the hot start, just need the cables and carb...my buddy said the honda carbs are exactly the same(thats what his dealer said) and i just wanted to know if i could include Honda carbs in my search.. thanks!!

sat for a winter, got it for $600.

had a local shop go through it and rebuilt the carb and cleaned it ultrasonically and just no good. After lengthy troubleshooting, cleaning the carbs again, checking valves again, they threw a carb they had on it and it fires right up and runs great.

(have a post in the classifieds) 

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GRAYRACER513, havent met you yet but i already respect you for the time you put in to help strangers!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2016 - 06:30 AM

Well, your buddy is wrong.  The carb on a CRF450R is a 41mm bore, while the YZ450 is 39mm.  The Honda carb might work, or you might spend a lot of time re-working the jetting.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.