what's your style in mud?

I was today reminded violently that probably better is to sit not to stand while in mud and don't

try to get out of rut in half way :(  Front end washout to the left and I dove into the bushed on right ?

I have no problem with saving this when in sand or dirt but in mud it's so quick you have no chance to react.

Edited by motf

I handle mud differently than most I think. It's sort of along the lines of "flailing and struggling" mentioned above. 

First, I sit, feet off the pegs like I'm going to stand, and I spin while "walking" my bike through the mud. If I can shift to a higher gear while doing so, all the better. 

It looks silly, but we have REALLY deep mud here. Sometimes pushing off with your feet keeps your bike moving so you don't bury. 

• Like 1

I recently "relearned" the mud trick

Drag your rear brake while powering out of the turns

I did one of the superbiker training weekends and at one point in the training, they water down the track so it is completely mud all the way around 

I felt very still on the bike, dragging the rear brake and staying balanced. Fun

Attack position with my ass barely off the back of the seat, pin it to win it and try not to turn 

If it's a short muddy area(like a spring or low are) as above but look ahead where you want to go but don't be too obsessed with your line, let the bike flow where it wants to.

• Like 1

A bike is typically all over the place in the mud. Especially the rear when you're on the throttle. If you're sitting down, all that movement will be put through your body as well. For that reason I prefer to let the bike do what it wants, while I stand up and am able to keep my body square with the direction I'm heading.

Edited by Goatse
  • Like 2

I feel wildly out of control when sitting in mud. The bike is constantly fighting me (or I'm fighting it). While standing the bike is able to move under me, so if either end of the bike gets loose it can be corrected. While sitting if you lose the front or slide the rear it almost always ends in a crash for me.

• Like 2

I tacke red clay slowly, sitting, as little gas as possible to slow spinning in the highest gear possible without too much bog. I can get my rpms pretty low though and not stall. I also prefer taking it slow so any falls or slips are slow and easygoing. 01 xr250r pretty stock. 13/50 gearing.