what's your style in mud?

Standing, holding on the best I can with my legs, keep my body pointed where I want to go. Biggest thing with mud is to pick a line and committing. Momentum helps. Most people that struggle try skipping from spot to spot with no plan in the mud and that dosnt work

Edited by REEDracing94
  • Like 1

I don't ride in mud like that. We don't even get those mud pools. Just saying pictures don't proof much. 

The little mud and slippery pools we have here occasionally; I think balance is important standing or sitting.

Standing balance is archived easier if trained. 

No sudden acceleration and nice and straight. If possible with some speed.  

• Like 2

I don't ride in mud like that. We don't even get those mud pools. Just saying pictures don't proof much.

The little mud and slippery pools we have here occasionally; I think balance is important standing or sitting.

Standing balance is archived easier if trained.

No sudden acceleration and nice and straight. If possible with some speed.

Pretty much with you on the pictures, they don't prove much. But if you look at the general consensus of fast riders, standing is the way to go fast, regardless of the terrain or conditions...

OP has made an observation of a particular moment in poor riding skills, but blaming the terrain is a much easier way out...

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

This is for turning in the mud, specifically, flat muddy terrain... It's a constant dance to stay "on top" of the bike. Keep your arms and hands relaxed as possible on the handlebars so you can feel what the bike is doing. From there just make small corrections.

Edited by Detox_YZed

If it's mud like the 'real mud!' pictures, I stay home.  That type of ride SUCKS! 

If you have to get through a slippery spot (not just mud but wet roots, ice, etc) try and figure out where the low line is ie: where gravity will want to pull the bike and then commit to that line, cuz your bike's going there whether you want it to or not, it's easier not to fight it.  

When we get mud here, it's often clay and if you don't go fast and spin lots, your tires just grow and grow until they wont turn anymore!  Try riding in mud with a locked front tire!!!

• Like 1

Short shift.. smooth transitions on throttle and sometimes clutch..not much throttle is needed actually but get in as high a gear as possible and roll steady on lower rpms..and pick lines far ahead if possible.. if you start to be pushed or pointed a wrong way don't turn fast.. slower and still steady with momentum and breathe and keep momentum and keep timing especially if you are also dealing with trees and other obstacles ..logs etc.. sometimes a little slower is better but not to make mistakes..I'm sitting more but it depends on what else is around you if you are in wide open areas then  a light attack stance is great..if you can see good lines that can keep your bike being balanced. For where I ride sitting works better but we have lots of ducking under trees etc..not like maybe some other places..  The goal is traction so not as much wheelspin unless you are charging bigger hills then of course it's momentum as your friend.. lots is experience and falling and realizing that technique doesn't work. This isn't real muddy or wet but still just keeping the  throttle smooth and not on the gas.. again it also depends on your particular kind of mud too.. there are some that aren't as slippery.. It's different everywhere but I'm just describing what lots of guys do here.

Here's from the other day.. it's slippery and wet and I also have to watch for slippery roots..so just trying to roll over them technique wise.. We aren't trying to go fast ..just staying steady and smooth and trying to not get stuck or stop . That gets me more tired.. I'm not young and not fit so technique is saving me a little. If I get tired or start falling my recovery time aint so great.

I have a playlist of mud riding to watch sometimes... here's jarvis.. all those uk riders are great mud guys .. that's all they have.. mud it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZUD9Qo1RWjlEMMbrF5dIY-ksIQf9Bit6

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Standing or sitting will vary with the terrain, I try to keep from flailing my legs and maintain a good contact with the bike through the pegs and knee pressure. I keep my upper body neural on the bike and I choose lines differently than I would if it was dry. Riding in mud is about minimizing mistakes and staying smooth.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yeah. There is no standing in extreme mud. Maybe for a few seconds but once you slow and lose your momentum, you're sitting and just trying not to fall. But yes, standing in most other conditions would be appropriate.

• Like 2

i use to ride lotsa mud back in the 70's-80's when we were racing. i sucked back then and i suck still....however, after being off bikes for 25 yrs and having to dome relearning, riding some icy, snowy conditions as of late (i know its not mud) but still relative. i noticed standing gave me more control also being in a lugging gear helped alot...however, i also sat alot too mostly when i lost momentum and had to stop bike from falling....just my .02...as im a 50yr old fat slow guy. lol..

Edited by argclh6670
  • Like 1