Steering Nut Torque Tool ?

32 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 06:27 AM

Any one have a leed on where I can get a cheeper Steering Nut Torque tool the the Yamaha One ?

• neWRiver

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:07 AM

I'd like to know if anyone has ever even found the "Yamaha" one. It is spec'ed in the manual, but my dealer could not locate it for me after several attempts. It apparently is not an OEM part and seems like no one is actually making it (or at least no one that my dealer knows of). I insisted that they contact Yamaha and find a supplier for this tool. Yeah, right. :)

I think it must have been the same guys that laughed at sceptor when he asked a question about air filters. :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:12 AM

Ther is a part number in the Manual, My Dealer(s) can order it but its freaking spencive :D

I was looking at PC but they have nothig there
Thats reason for Post :)

• ricky1

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:17 AM

Go to a bicycle shop and buy the appropriate spanner for the nut (about $10). (take the nut with you). Get an old socket with the same drive as your torque wrench. Weld it on to the spanner (upside down) about 1 inch away from the nut. Now you have a new tool. :)

• dirtdad

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:18 AM

Motion Pro makes a wrench that looks like it would work okay; but, I don't really think you need a special tool for this. I've had my steering head apart several times and haven't had a problem getting it back together without one. I just use a small punch for the ring nut. It doesn't really need enough torque applied to booger it up and then I just use a torque wrench on the steering shaft nut. I adjust them so that the steering will just fall to one side or the other with a very slight push.

• BigLou

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:22 AM

I'm with Dirtdad on this one. I use channel-locks and adjust so it will just flop over to one side or the other when nudged. Check for fore-aft play in the bearings or for too tight on the ring. It will loosen up just a bit after riding once the bearings and grease "set in".

• Hootna

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:22 AM

You know seeing as this is not something that should be pulled apart more than twice a year it would be cheaper just to bring your bike to the dealer. Since you are from Hollister I am sure that you have been to Gilroy Cycle Center. These guys are usually fairly cool, they pressed the steering stem out of my old T Clamps and in to my new ones for free. So if you showed up down there with your bike and had the upper clamps loose so you could pull them along with the bars off they would probably torque it for you at little or no charge. I didnt torque mine, but I thought of making a tool wouldnt be hard. You just need a large steel socket and some pins that line up with 4 of the slots on the nut and weld them on. Man one could make a lot of money if they could produce a socket that you could attach to a standard torque wrench. Anyway goodluck...

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for the Backyard advice, Letme please advise on this, I used to dirt-track and RR, Specialized in Mile, Have anyone of you experianced Head shake at speeds above 80 ?

I am a believer in proper tools and torque from experiance. KR (Thats Kenny Roberts) for you all east of California :)
Had the following on the wall of his shop in Modesto and always posted it in the garages at the GP's:
One spec of dirt, one untightend nut !
Can place a man in the Hospital

I think that sums it up for me.
PS I have seen front ends brake becouse of improperly torqued Triples :D

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 04, 2002 - 08:26 AM

I have looked high and low too. I'm a stickler for the right tools so this is driving me crazy. The dealers tell me that the yamaha part number is bad (can't find the part). The local parts shop can get me a special yamaha tool for this but it doesn't fit a torque wrench either and it was very expensive (over $50 if I remember correctly). Snapon has a spanner wrench but it's really expensive ($40 if I remember correctly). Someone here suggested Harbor Freight and they do offer a set of spanner wrenches for $15, the smallest looks like it will fit the steering nut and the largest looks like it will fit the shock. They don't fit a torque wrench but at least they look appropriate for ring nuts. I ordered the set about 2 weeks ago and got a post card that said they're on backorder so I haven't received them yet. I did not check on the expected restock date. The total with shipping and handling was $25. Here they are:

The procedure for tightening the ring is to tighten to 30 something Nm, then back off and retighten to I think 7 Nm. I find this very difficult to do with a punch or vice grips. Just my $.02. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 08:53 AM

I am at work and dont have the manual, does anyone have the Part number handy in the manual, should be in the first few pages........... I will locate the part and pass the info onto anyone who needs it.

Unless Hit-Man wants to BULK BUY AHHHHHHHHHHHH :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:00 AM

ego, don't get me wrong. I look for ANY excuse to buy a new tool. Drives my wife batty! But, like all of you I had trouble finding this "special tool" referenced in the manual. On the other hand though, I have not experienced any head shake or slop in my steering. I DO use a torque wrench for the steering stem nut. There really isn't much room for error in adjusting the ring nut. Torquing it down to 30 ft lb then backing off is just to seat the bearings. Once you torque the steering stem nut down properly, you'll know if it's wrong. If you go too tight on the ring nut the steering won't respond as stated in my first response. Too loose and you'll know it. The "special tool" just takes the guess work out of it. I DO think that makes it worth the price, but all I meant before was that it CAN be done without it!
Oh, and the part # is YM-33975 or 90890-01403

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

• neWRiver

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:10 AM

Originally posted by EgoAhole:
I will locate the part and pass the info onto anyone who needs it.

After that, can you please cure cancer, too? :)

Obviously, we are mostly doing what dirtdad has described (i.e., getting by without using a torque wrench). Ricky1 probably has the most practical "real" answer. But, I'm pullin' for ya Ego! Find that tool! :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:14 AM

No Worries, I am just a stickler for doing things correct, not saying your method is not correct. Just mean with proper tools and adjustments.

My wife is already nuts so its a short drive for her, I make her bat-E becouse of my tenasious nature for perfection. I mean I have to wash my hands 40 times a-day, I vacume the steps up as people are walking accross my rug, I hate dirt on my bike carry a rag every where I go, I mean IIIII meeean Oh Doc I am doin git again, ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Thanks DirtDad for the numbers.... :)

Working on it :D

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:21 AM

Please correct me if Im wrong, but we are talking about the 30mm nut on top of the triple, right? IF so you can get a 30mm socket at any autozone, pepboys or napa shop. If you talking about the headstock bearing load spanner, it only needs about 8 to 10 foot lbs. of torque, even if you like your steering heavy. I personally dont use a punch to set this, I just get it snug with a channel lock plier and then tighten the top nut, then tighten the fork leggs.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:23 AM

You poor mis-guided ignorant Slu**** Thumper :)

No buddy we I am talking about the ring nut under the tripple

• dirtdad

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:26 AM

shawn, there is actually a "special spanner" (referenced in the manual) that accomodates a torque wrench to adjust the ring nut (the part you described as the "headstock bearing load spanner). I think everyone here can figure out the ease of finding a 30mm socket and standard torque wrench!

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

• dirtdad

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:31 AM

ego, It must be really nice having a job just sitting at a computer monitoring Thumper Talk. I have a similar situation (retired navy), but I'm not collecting a full paycheck for doing it!

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 09:36 AM

so your a squid eh ! :)

Me Bro was a spook in Nam, intresting stories

Ya I got a great job, I did all me work 2 years ago now its waiting for the IPO and retirement. Believe me, It gets cooking I am on a low right now, so upgrading all my servers and doing some maint (Much Needed).

Once this place goes IPO I am Cya cashin gthe chk and retiring. Then I can get into TT just like you :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 10:25 PM

Ring Nut Spanner Tool is found

Ok here it is for 42.95 youcan buy from Yamaha
one YU-33975

Yup this is the one that everyone is talking about, the one you see advertised on TV, yes you can slice it dice it chop it smoke it. You can even use it to spray fake hair onto those bald heads caused by to hot a helmut

I called a buddie I know that has a Yamaha Connect

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 04, 2002 - 01:12 PM

Well Captain Egoahole, you found a way to spend 45 bucks on something you dont need. Hey, Im sure you need to come over hear wash my truck. Feel free to fill it with gas too ya jackass. Your an irritating person. Not unlike a rock in the boot, and no more substantial either. Just a rock in the boot. Your threads have the look of a drunkard-hack with nothing better to do. Amazing really.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.