- - - - -

2015 vs 2016 WR450F

• Please sign in to reply

6 replies to this topic
  • Caraholic86

TT Newbie

8 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:02 AM

I am trying to decide between buying a used 2015 or used 2016 wr450. I found a 2015 with only 40 miles on it for $5500 so I'm just wondering if I should buy it or wait for a good deal on a 2016.   I have read about starting issues with the previous generation (2012-2015) bikes.  Was the problem corrected by 2015?  I want the bike for trail riding and I want something that is going to last a long time and not have any issues so do you thing new design of the engine on the 2016 is going to be as reliable as the older version?

• AnonymousBlackX

TT Bronze Member

145 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:13 AM

I can comment on my 2012 having the starting issues and I can comment on my friend buying a brand-new 2015 and still having the starting issues. After I got my full fmf exhaust and GYTR tuner on it it was a little bit easier to start but still has problems every now and then with the electric start. If you have a good leg it always turns over first kick. Also here in New Mexico if you buy a brand-new you can get a street title for it and possibly superMoto it later down the road. My WR is a superMoto and it's really fun I highly recommend it I can't speak too much on the 2016 because I have a 2012.

• Krannie McKranface
36,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:17 AM

The starting issue was not corrected at the factory.

It's a combination of uncorking, remapping, and fixing the CO settings at idle.

The '16 motor is a better motor. Quieter, smooter, and still built the same, to be relibable.  I would not question it's ability to last like an old WR motor.

• Caraholic86

TT Newbie

8 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 04:19 AM

Ok thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can find a used 2016 soon!

• bradmc

TT Member

25 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 10:56 PM

i had a 2012 and didn't  find a problem with the starting, all bikes are different. you've just got to find the right way to start it ( the way it likes) 

• Pinepig

TT Member

73 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 11:15 AM

i had a 2012 and didn't  find a problem with the starting, all bikes are different. you've just got to find the right way to start it ( the way it likes) 

If you fix the CO setting there is no " what the bike likes "  stab the button,  it starts,  neutral,  in gear,  it doesn't matter.  IT JUST STARTS.

• Caraholic86

TT Newbie

8 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Well the guy ended up coming down even more on the price so im now the proud owner of a 2015 WR450.  So far im 100% satisfied and haven't had any issues with it not wanting to start.  Coming from a DRZ 250 this bike is like night and day!  Is there any way to read the total hours on the ecu with a diagnostic tool?  I know you can on the competition ecu's but haven't had much luck finding out if it can be done on the stock ecu.

IMG_20160910_094549349.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.