USB charger on 2003 YZ450F

2 replies to this topic
  • Jdc215

Posted September 05, 2016 - 08:23 PM

I just got a smoking deal on a 2003 YZ450F in eastern Idaho. this is my first dirtbike. I currently do lots of exploring in my Suzuki samurai, but the desert is abusive to say the least and im hoping the bike will help me cover more ground at a lower cost. I use my phone for my gps which works great as long as i have a constant source of power. 

A search online tells me the stator on this bike is pretty minimal, but i was wondering if it would be possible to mount something as simple as this little outlet for the purpose of charging my phone?

https://www.jakewils...D5PYaArnp8P8HAQ

I'm a new member, please excuse my ignorance and i appreciate your feedback.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2016 - 12:48 PM

Nope.  USB requires DC, and the whole electrical system is AC.  Without rewinding, the draw from the rectifier and the added DC circuit would prevent the ignition from working.

• Jdc215

Posted September 06, 2016 - 04:17 PM

thank you, i just assumed it would be DC but that presents an obvious problem. ill have to explore a battery pack option then.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.