Real World Advice

5 replies to this topic
  • mx911

Posted September 05, 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hello All, 

Newer to this forum. I joined a few years ago, but haven't been using it and lost my username. I haven't been racing since 2008 and am looking at getting back into it. The last bike I owned was an '06 YZF450 and I loved that bike. After a few easy mods to fork height and suspension, I couldn't find a better handling bike. I've been looking at newer used Yamahas (09-13) and am getting pretty discouraged with the magazine always nitpicking these bikes or giving them too many accolades. So I am looking to my fellow riders to give me the down and dirty on how these bikes really compare to my old fav, the '06. I know there are thousands of posts on these bikes and would take me probably a year to read through them all, so I'm asking you to humor me with this post.

Theses are my main concerns:

1. Does the EFI in the '10-'13 models suck as bad as the magazines say it does?

2. Do the newer ones handle any better?

3. Any long term problems noticed in these bikes?

I know Yamaha changed the exhaust quite a few times over the years, which is an easy fix, so not too worried about that. Suspension wise, I would be having it setup for me anyway, so that's not a big issue either. 

I'm a 40+ novice rider who wants to go to the track and have fun while still being competitive. I'm 6' and about 220 lbs w/o gear.

I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck on a used bike, which has me leaning more towards the pre FI models.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

• Dklassen

Posted September 05, 2016 - 11:20 AM

EFI works great. I wouldn't want to go back to a carb. For what your doing a low hour bike that's properly set up is fine. You can re-map the ECU with a tuner. I have seen some nice used 10-13 YZ450's for sale in good shape. Don't be afraid of fuel injection and the reliability & build quality is high on the bikes.

• mx911

Posted September 05, 2016 - 12:48 PM

EFI works great. I wouldn't want to go back to a carb. For what your doing a low hour bike that's properly set up is fine. You can re-map the ECU with a tuner. I have seen some nice used 10-13 YZ450's for sale in good shape. Don't be afraid of fuel injection and the reliability & build quality is high on the bikes.

I've seen a few 10-12 ones for sale for almost the same price as an 06-09 here in FL. I can get a '10 YZ450 with 30 hours for pretty cheap, which is what I was leaning towards. I had already planned on getting the tuner and playing with the mapping. Thanks for the input.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stu2

Posted September 06, 2016 - 03:41 AM

Great questions Mx911, I was going to post a similar question but the app on my phone wont allow me to create a new post, only reply to posts,

I am the same age height and weight as you and I am looking to get an mx bike as my Yz 250f is set up for enduro,

I had a 2011 Yz 450f and can comment on that, which I will probably get flamed for but this is in my opinion,

The 2011 yz 450f was a very strange bike in terms of handling, I did not enjoy it, I tried everything to set it up including the lowering link and nothing really helped, I am either going to get an 09 and spend some time and cash on it, or get a 2014 or newer but I want to avoid the 10 to 13 years, I dont know what the 14 and newer bikes are like compared to a well set up 09, perhaps someone else who has had both can compare?

• cpetz24

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:36 AM

Go with F.I.  For sure.  I have a 2011 450f. Its a good bike.  Just have to mess with the setup and get something that works for you. 

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2016 - 11:22 AM

... but the app on my phone wont allow me to create a new post, only reply to posts,

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1626.PNG

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.