650L oil change

4 replies to this topic
  • fsrmatt

Posted March 18, 2004 - 05:15 AM

Can anyone tell me where the oil screens are on the 650L? I believe there is one hidden behind the clutch side, side case and that there may be another. This bike is new to me and I have no manual. Thank you.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 18, 2004 - 07:09 AM

At the bottom of the frame down tube, just below the forward facing down tube drain bolt. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fsrmatt

Posted March 18, 2004 - 07:24 AM

Is it incorporated in the oil line?

• KBF

Posted March 18, 2004 - 10:18 AM

There is a screen made onto the fitting at the bottom of the frame downtube where the oil line attatches. There is also a flat screen in the bottom of the engine case. You can get to it by removing the right side cover (which is where the clutch basket is located). I bought my bike used with 12,500 miles on it and the screens were as clean as if the bike was new. Good luck with yours. :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 18, 2004 - 11:52 AM

Yes. I left that part off because I thought it might've been obvious. But I do have the Honda Service Manual, too. :)

Here's the drill: Oil line off first, then unscrew & remove the "oil strainer nut." Take off the rubber O-ring, clean the strainer with solvent (or gas) being careful not to damage the fine gauge wire screen, air dry, clean the down tube threads & reinstall. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.