Breather tube

3 replies to this topic
  • Jandre visagie

Posted August 31, 2016 - 02:54 AM

Good day. I have a yamaha yz450f that i have bought 2 weeks ago. While i was riding i saw gas coming out of the breather tube. Can it be of the high compression of these 4 stroke machines or because of worn rings on the piston ? Will the bike not use oil when its rings are worn ? Because this bike is fantastic and still has a lot of power so must i be worried because of the gas that is coming out from the breather tube ? I also have a WR 450 '06 thats breather tube goes into the airbox but he doesnt breath as far as im concerned. Help me please i dont now if i must be worried or not.

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2016 - 06:24 AM

Normal.  The piston has a top and a bottom, and as it goes up and down, it displaces 450cc of air on both sides; in the cylinder and in the crankcase.  That air, and the pressure from combustion that leaks past the rings needs to be allowed to move in and out of the crankcase so pressure doesn't build and force out seals.  Your WR does the same thing, whether you've ever noticed it or not. 

It can be a matter of concern if it becomes excessive, because that indicates the rings are leaking more than they should. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jandre visagie

Posted August 31, 2016 - 10:29 PM

Okay thank you. So i dont have to worry and just enjoy my bike ?

• Jandre visagie

Posted August 31, 2016 - 10:48 PM

Hiw do i know when it leaks more then it should ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.