Pink Asian coolant in my bike?

6 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted August 30, 2016 - 09:23 AM

Just wondering if there are any pluses or minuses to running pink colored Asian coolant in my 450FX.  Last time I rode it boiled over a little, I have almost a full gallon of the pink stuff ready to go but I'm fresh out of green at the moment.  I realize I'd need to flush the system well to remove any traces of the green, just curious if there is a compelling reason not to use the pink stuff.

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2016 - 09:53 AM

There are two basic kinds of coolant; Ethylene Glycol, the toxic green stuff, and Propylene Glycol, the stuff that comes in alternate colors and is said to be non-toxic.

(Actually, there's a third: Oxalic Acid based coolants like Dex-Cool.  All you need to know about it is the word, "NO")

PG coolants will raise the boil point marginally, like 5-7 degrees.  Overall a better choice.  As far as flushing, all that's needed is to drain it refill with water and run for a couple minutes, and drain again.  Ready to use products like Engine Ice are PG based.  Add a capful of RedLine Water Wetter (a surfactant) to enhance the thermal conductivity between the coolant and the radiators.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 30, 2016 - 10:01 AM

Great info grayracer, many thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted August 30, 2016 - 02:37 PM

Using Dex cool in all my bikes. No issues whatsoever. Drain it every five years. Everything looks like new.

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2016 - 06:14 AM

Whatever.  Most of us GM mechanics hated the stuff because it tends to turn into a brown sludge if it comes in contact with too much air during it's life. That, and several radiator failures due to electrolysis were blamed on it.  I switched my own truck over to PG years ago.  Dex-Cool offers no advantage over PG that I'm aware of.

• stevethe

Posted August 31, 2016 - 06:25 AM

Could be the new stuff out nowadays. Every time I open the cap it looks exactly like the day it went in. My 07 that has used it since new shows no corrosion and it is getting beat up on a regular basis by the Boy. 

• cowboyona426

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Well, I reluctantly changed my coolant out last night to the pink Asian stuff.  It is not PG, it contained mostly ethylene glycol.  I think eventually I will just buy some of the Yamacool stuff and put that back in.  Not sure how much I trust this pink stuff, because as grayracer said about the DexCool a small amount left exposed to the air eventually evaporated and left a sticky residue behind.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.