- - - - -

2006 Yzf450 water getting in the oil

• Please sign in to reply

6 replies to this topic
  • NZ_Northlandrider

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted August 29, 2016 - 11:12 PM

Hi guys my my yzf450 2006 is getting water in the oil, I fill up the radiators and within two minutes of riding they are empty again. It had a top end about 5 hours ago using Cometic gaskets and i have just replace the water pump seals. Do you recon the head gasket could already be blown? any help would be much appreciated.

• damnbiker94

TT Member

58 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 02:46 AM

Was there any grooving on the water pump shaft? Also did you replace the water pump bearing and BOTH seals?

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 30, 2016 - 10:02 AM

The water pump cannot pass water to the oil because there is an escape port located between that seal and the oil seal.  It's the "weep hole".  When coolant leaks past the seal, it goes outside to ground.

Water (coolant) can enter the crankcase from only 3 places, absent a crack or hole in a piece of hardware: 

• Head gasket
  • Base Gasket
  • Right crankcase cover, water passage seal

How did you torque the head?

• NZ_Northlandrider

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hi there was not any grooving on the propeller shaft and yes i replaced both seals and the bearing, i torqued the head bolt to the recommended amount in the manual,and i replaced the side case gasket, it sounds like it is head gasket, i will hopefully check it out tonight :facepalm:

• NZ_Northlandrider

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 11:44 AM

To clarify the whole story, My bike was running good then i noticed the water level would go down after about 20 mins but it would only go down a bit so i kept topping it up and at the end of the day i noticed water pouring out of that hole grayracer513 said so i replaced the seals bearing and shaft, the radiator was only half full when i noticed could i  of cracked something alowwing water to escape, or do u recon its the head gasket

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 30, 2016 - 12:18 PM

So, then, you first torqued the four main head bolts to 22 ft/lbs, then you removed and re-lubed them and torqued them back to 14 ft/lb, and after that, you tightened each of the four main bolts  1/2 turn farther in two quarter turn steps?

http://www.thumperta...g/#entry9087039

The head gasket is the likely culprit, although it could be any of the three causes I listed.  There is no O-ring at the water passage in the steel shim base gasket, so it's quite important to replace it also, whenever the head has been removed.

• NZ_Northlandrider

TT Newbie

4 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 01:12 AM

Hi guys i pulled apart the top end and sanded the head and cylinder then replaced the head gasket with a cheap tusk one. it no longer is using water and i can notice a power increase. 

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.