Hotcamshafts auto deco cam

5 replies to this topic
  • tp3dxf

Posted March 17, 2004 - 08:46 PM

I am going to order a Hot Camshafts auto deco exhaust cam for my 01WR426. Has anyone tried one yet? I know a 03YZ cam will work but I want to go with the Hot Camshafts set up.

Anyone tried on yet?

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted March 18, 2004 - 06:02 AM

I've put together a number of Yamahas with the Hot Cams auto-decomp cams and they work great. The mechanism is virtually identical to the one used by Yamaha. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 18, 2004 - 06:06 AM

I put one in my 400, works great. Its a new bike, so easy to start. You will have to shim .20mm thicker on the exhaust valves :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Red3171

Posted March 18, 2004 - 11:32 AM

I've put together a number of Yamahas with the Hot Cams auto-decomp cams and they work great. The mechanism is virtually identical to the one used by Yamaha.

Rich,
How does the Hotcams auto-decomp exhaust cam work in conjunction with the stock intake came on a 2002 WR426? According to Hotcams, their cam is a little more performance oriented, and was wondering if I need to replace both intake and exhaust cams.

Thanks,
RED

• Disco

Posted March 19, 2004 - 08:40 AM

Indeed..... You might check with Hotcams first, but when I called them they stated you had to purchase BOTH the exhaust as well as the intake cam if you go the Hotcam route. From the apparent sucess of the '04 YZ450 cam and the relatively good price (~$90 from any dealer), I went the Yammy cam route. The bike rocks now!

If you are dead set against straining your cam chain, check with the TT member CW on the YZ postings on this issue, or I can put you in touch with him. He is a machinist and is making a hybrid YZ450 cam in conjunction with the stock WR or YZ 400 cam much cheaper than Hotcam. The best part is, he uses a cam gear specifically designed for your application = no cam chain wear while getting the benefit of the autodecompression.

Hope this helps.

DD :)

• Red3171

Posted March 22, 2004 - 10:43 AM

DD,
Thanks for the info. If I decide to do the mod, I'll get in touch with CW.

Thanks,
RED

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.