2016 WR450F throttle screw..ECU worth it?

18 replies to this topic
  • Firethorn37

Posted August 29, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Hello fellow WR owners!  I've recently purchased a new, 2016 WR450F and have had lots of fun with it.  As is, stock from the dealer, I was disappointed with the performance.  It was fun to putt around on and everything, but very corked and underwhelming.  I decided to look at some of the mods avaialble/suggested.  I knew it would matter much, but I removed the pea shooter thingy from the muffler..seemed to just make it louder..no biggie.  I've ordered the comp kit, but have been waiting weeks for it to come in...must be in high demand??  Anyway..I got tired of waiting and decided to modify that crazy long, throttle screw mysel (I took about 2/3 of the length off).  Wow!  What a freaking difference that made!!  The bike is so nasty now, I had to learn how to handle it again.  My question is...is it worth even getting the comp ECU now?  Is changing the throttle stop screw all that is really needed?  I'm just curious if anyone else changed the screw first without updating the ECU and would they recommend the ECU after doing so?

Thanks,

Bill

2016 WR450F

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 29, 2016 - 07:21 AM

Yes.

• GuyGraham

Posted August 29, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Have you taken out the air restrictor from the underside of the backfire screen as well?

• Firethorn37

Posted August 29, 2016 - 07:57 AM

Have you taken out the air restrictor from the underside of the backfire screen as well?

No.  Is that in front of the air filter?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 29, 2016 - 08:22 AM

Removing the intake and exahust restictors without remapping will give a lean condition with deceleration backfiring...

• stevethe

Posted August 29, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Most everything is right here http://www.thumperta...16-wr450f-mods/

• GuyGraham

Posted August 29, 2016 - 09:31 AM

No.  Is that in front of the air filter?

look here http://www.thumperta...e#entry12963751

• Firethorn37

Posted August 29, 2016 - 10:12 AM

Most everything is right here http://www.thumperta...16-wr450f-mods/

Thank you..I'll check these out.  I'm just curious if I'd do any harm to the bike by keeping the stock ECU on it while derestricting the throttle stop.

• stevethe

Posted August 29, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Thank you..I'll check these out.  I'm just curious if I'd do any harm to the bike by keeping the stock ECU on it while derestricting the throttle stop.

No harm. But put the competition ECU on it it will make it more rideable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Firethorn37

Posted August 29, 2016 - 10:52 AM

No harm. But put the competition ECU on it it will make it more rideable.

Great!  My comp ECU is "supposed" to be in on Sept. 1..we'll see...

• Nuklhed

Posted August 29, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Bill,

My answer is an emphatic, "Hell yes it is."  This is going to be the best money you've ever or will spend on this bike.  Take the throttle stop out completely--mine is missing from the dealership, Day 1. 

The ECU will allow you to play around with mild to wild throttle hits.  And, get rid of the glowing header pipe we've all wondered about.

• WR CT

Posted August 30, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Haven't done either the ECU or throttle screw yet but hoping to soon. Is the throttle screw easily accessible?

• stevethe

Posted August 30, 2016 - 04:34 PM

Haven't done either the ECU or throttle screw yet but hoping to soon. Is the throttle screw easily accessible?

http://www.thumperta...-throttle-stop/

• briankjones

Posted August 30, 2016 - 07:56 PM

When you get the ecu, I highly recommend the "Aussie Map". I've found it best and race with it for 3 years.

• wreckitrichwr450

Posted August 31, 2016 - 07:44 PM

I have a 2015 model, replace the factory ecu and you will be happy...whole new bike

• Firethorn37

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Bill,

My answer is an emphatic, "Hell yes it is."  This is going to be the best money you've ever or will spend on this bike.  Take the throttle stop out completely--mine is missing from the dealership, Day 1. 

The ECU will allow you to play around with mild to wild throttle hits.  And, get rid of the glowing header pipe we've all wondered about.

I haven't noticed the glowing header pipe yet, but will keep an eye on it.  I have the stock ecu, shorter throttle stop screw and pea shooter removed.  The only thing I really want fixed is the surge/jerkiness with low rpm..short roll on of throttle.  How is the base map on the comp ecu?

• Firethorn37

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:09 AM

Yes, once you have the right tools.  I used a T-25 security torx bit and just held it in with my finger while I used a small open end wrench to turn it.  That stock screw is long..like 1 1/2 inches or so.  Once you get it started, you can just use your hand.

• Firethorn37

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:11 AM

When you get the ecu, I highly recommend the "Aussie Map". I've found it best and race with it for 3 years.

I like snap out of turns and pre jump pop.  I've noticed with my current setup, the torque doesn't really hit until higher rpms.

• stevethe

Posted September 02, 2016 - 08:19 AM

I like snap out of turns and pre jump pop.  I've noticed with my current setup, the torque doesn't really hit until higher rpms.

Try this map and you will get snap. image_zpsxikswqad.jpeg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.