Shortening pipe

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 03, 2002 - 04:51 PM

I have a 98 400. I do alot of rocky hill climbs, woods riding, and high speed crashing ( not real proud of that one )
I have an e-series pipe and keep bending the discs. I was going to shorten the pipe to tuck it in behing the side panel, turn the defleter 180 to keep the side panel from melting. this would protect my pipe and give it a cleaner look.
My Question is has anyone done this and if so how many discs would you need to run? I currently have 12. I know shortening the stock pipe doesn't effect the power as much because it is not a disc type. Shortening the pipe would create a smaller cubic inch which would give it more back pressure right? If that is correct I would have to take out a disc or two. Cris

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 03, 2002 - 05:58 PM

I meant add a disc or two to lessen the back pressure my bad. Cris

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 04:05 AM

Ya I cut mine off right at the Exaust Port, I then Welded a Brigs and stratton Muffler from a Lawn mower I had in the Back shed to make it look real trick.

I then drilled alot more holes in my disk so the brake easier and filled the master cylinder with supper glue for better grip

:)

I wouldnt be cuttin on the pipes, the pipes are designed for peak performance and in general are built at the lenght they are asa result of dyno testing and engineering. The Bike (Any Bike) has a phenominom known as Back Pressure in the exhaust, the hight the rev the higher the pressure. Ahh Never Mind go ahead and cut the pip up its only 400 bucks to replace when you figure out what you did :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted April 04, 2002 - 01:27 PM

typically, when you shorten the head pipe the effect on the motor is an enhancement in higher rpm ranges. Depending on how much you cut off, the power characterisic change could be huge.

The Ego has a point about the cost of the experiment. Basically, your risking all the bottom end power when you cut the pipe off.

• MikeOK

Posted April 04, 2002 - 01:56 PM

Hey if you did go with Briggs and Stratton you could go to Wal-Mart and get one, they would always be in stock, and instead of costing $100 it would cost $10...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 04, 2002 - 02:22 PM

I meant just the end of the pipe not the whole damn thing.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 04, 2002 - 02:37 PM

Bingo MikeO

Cris

I understood, I am just a jokster :)
But serious I thik you will get the same performance hits if you play with the disks i.e. add remove. Dont Cut the pipe (Or The Cheeze) :D
The Pipe was designed from exhaust to tail in the aspect of removing disk or adding to suit what you want. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.