Need some help with fan installation

Okay, so I'm getting ready to install a Spal fan on my 390.  I have everything in the attached pic, but based on the following fan installation instructions on Beta's website it looks like I still need to get some kind of wiring harness. 

http://americanbeta.com/sites/default/files/pdf/4%20stroke%20fan%20kit%20instructions.pdf

Is this what I need to get?  https://www.amazon.com/Spal-FRH-Fan-Relay-Harness/dp/B003PB4AY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472420272&sr=8-1&keywords=spal+fan+relay

Or is there a wiring harness under the seat that just connects to both the fan and the thermo temp sensor (fan switch)?  Is this just plug and play or do I need to splice wires?  I'm a little nervous going forward with this as I don't want to screw anything up and I don't know what gets connected to what.  I'm also going to be installing a set of Unabiker radiator guards at the same time. 

It also looks like I need an aluminum crush washer for the thermo temp sensor.  And those zip ties are the Thomas & Betts ones with the stainless locking device.

Any tips here, guys?  Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

P1020552.JPG

Edited by Ocaptainmycaptain

Okay, so I'm getting ready to install a Spal fan on my 390.  I have everything in the attached pic, but based on the following fan installation instructions on Beta's website it looks like I still need to get some kind of wiring harness. 

http://americanbeta.com/sites/default/files/pdf/4%20stroke%20fan%20kit%20instructions.pdf

Is this what I need to get?  https://www.amazon.com/Spal-FRH-Fan-Relay-Harness/dp/B003PB4AY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472420272&sr=8-1&keywords=spal+fan+relay

Or is there a wiring harness under the seat that just connects to both the fan and the thermo temp sensor (fan switch)?  Is this just plug and play or do I need to splice wires?  I'm a little nervous going forward with this as I don't want to screw anything up and I don't know what gets connected to what.  I'm also going to be installing a set of Unabiker radiator guards at the same time. 

It also looks like I need an aluminum crush washer for the thermo temp sensor.  And those zip ties are the Thomas & Betts ones with the stainless locking device.

Any tips here, guys?  Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

have you looked at ballisticchris fan setup? put a search.. there's a link in the other fan thread.;..and put up a search on threads ..not topics and there's more info..somewhere.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1152832-spal-fan-install-on-498/?hl=%2Bspal+%2Bfan+%2Bbeta#entry12635726

Here's one.. but put a search for more.

HDR - I did look at Chris' setup.  He's where I got the idea for the Spal fan.

However, I don't think his thread specified what gets connected to what.  I'm looking for more detailed installation help and whether I need additional parts.

Ok.. I didn't go this route.. just got the beta setup and had my dealer install.. so I went the easy avoid figuring this out method.. sorry. Still this has been on threads before.. some old info might mix with some new contributions to figure..

Nobody's installed a fan on their Beta? 

The issue I have is that I didn't purchase the 4-stroke fan kit made for Beta.  I bought the fan and thermo switch separately, so what I'm trying to figure out is whether I need to get a separate wire harness in addition to the fan.  The problem is I don't know where to get a fan wire harness. 

I have searched and haven't seen anything. 

I have never seen the harness by itself, only in the Beta kit I installed. Its not rocket science kit.

The connector is there on the bike under the tank towards the front, right side of the bike. Its simply power and ground. Make you a harness that goes from there...power direct to fan, fan ground to switch, other switch terminal to ground in factory connector. Going off memory, its a pretty small two pin connector.

I have never seen the harness by itself, only in the Beta kit I installed. Its not rocket science kit.

The connector is there on the bike under the tank towards the front, right side of the bike. Its simply power and ground. Make you a harness that goes from there...power direct to fan, fan ground to switch, other switch terminal to ground in factory connector. Going off memory, its a pretty small two pin connector.

Thanks, vwprostock.  I do appreciate it.  But you might as well have typed that in Chinese.  I simply don't have the basic understanding of electrical systems to put something like that together.  I wish I did. 

As much as I hate to do it and spend the $170, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order the damn fan kit from Beta, which is probably what I should have done in the first place.  Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't ordered the fan over a month ago and now I can't return it.

Thanks, vwprostock.  I do appreciate it.  But you might as well have typed that in Chinese.  I simply don't have the basic understanding of electrical systems to put something like that together.  I wish I did. 

As much as I hate to do it and spend the $170, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order the damn fan kit from Beta, which is probably what I should have done in the first place.  Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't ordered the fan over a month ago and now I can't return it.

Its pricey for sure but plug n play super easy. Trickiest part is drilling your radiator side plate. Use a stop or a drill press, or something so you don't jab the drill bit too far into a tank.

I don't think It's any harder than

A constant power supply interrupted by the thermo switch.

So, when the thermo switch hits the pre programmed temp it closes the loop.

An easy way to envision it....

Pos Battery to thermo...thermo to fan, fan ground.

If it were me, I'd also wire in a bar switch so the fan can also be controlled at will.

Edited by moto9

Its pricey for sure but plug n play super easy. Trickiest part is drilling your radiator side plate. Use a stop or a drill press, or something so you don't jab the drill bit too far into a tank.

Thanks, guys.

Is it necessary for the fan bracket to be connected to the radiator?  I'd like to avoid drilling into the radiator and just install the fan by zip tying it to the radiator.

Thanks, guys.

Is it necessary for the fan bracket to be connected to the radiator?  I'd like to avoid drilling into the radiator and just install the fan by zip tying it to the radiator.

No and zip ties work (see other thread/comments..lol) but honestly the side of the radiator is easy to drill. I screw head could be jammed into the radiator in a hard side crash, but I have Unabiker guards. If I hit hard enough to jam the fan screw into the rad, its probably the least of my worries...lol. This worry would be much greater with no rad guards. 

Just be aware zip ties, depending in the placement, can rub through metal also...

No and zip ties work (see other thread/comments..lol) but honestly the side of the radiator is easy to drill. I screw head could be jammed into the radiator in a hard side crash, but I have Unabiker guards. If I hit hard enough to jam the fan screw into the rad, its probably the least of my worries...lol. This worry would be much greater with no rad guards. 

Just be aware zip ties, depending in the placement, can rub through metal also...

Thank you, sir.

Quick follow-up question - I'm also installing a set of Unabiker radiator guards when doing the fan install.  So, the fan brackets get screwed into the radiator, and then the Unabiker guards go around the radiators?  Is that correct?  Can I trouble you for a pic of your fan/rads? 

Yes, the Unabiker guards are installed around the radiators. Read the instructions very carefully and do not use the button head allen screws on the inside positions for the support rods.  One thing to look for when installing your Unabiker guards is the right rear crossbar screw (that goes between the left and right radiators) placement.  My stock fan shroud precluded from installing that screw without drilling a hole in the shroud which would require the removal of the RH radiator.  Too lazy to do this time around, but will figure it out when the bike is torn down for maintenance.  The fuel valve and hose is for the RH feed for my IMS 3.1 tank which was not the problem, but the stock OEM fan shroud was in the way of that screw.

UnabikerRadguardmarked_zpsdnkbmlj3.jpg

Edited by desertrat28

Yes, the Unabiker guards are installed around the radiators. Read the instructions very carefully and do not use the button head allen screws on the inside positions for the support rods.  One thing to look for when installing your Unabiker guards is the right rear crossbar screw (that goes between the left and right radiators) placement.  My stock fan shroud precluded from installing that screw without drilling a hole in the shroud which would require the removal of the RH radiator.  Too lazy to do this time around, but will figure it out when the bike is torn down for maintenance.  The fuel valve and hose is for the RH feed for my IMS 3.1 tank which was not the problem, but the stock OEM fan shroud was in the way of that screw.

UnabikerRadguardmarked_zpsdnkbmlj3.jpg

Thanks, desertrat. Appreciate the tip.  My intention was to drain the coolant and remove the right-side radiator in order to install the fan kit, though it seems you are suggesting this isn't required?  I'll check my right-side radiator shroud to see if I'm going to run into the same issue. 

I should mention that my plan is to install the Unabiker rad guards, fan kit, IMS 3-gallon tank and Seat Concepts seat all at once.  Gonna be spending some quality time with the 390 in the garage soon.