Clutch cable keeps fraying

7 replies to this topic
  • cupcake2100

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Hey guys, my clutch cables on my wr426 keeps fraying, each one only lasting about 4 months, what gives??? They always fray at the top next to the lever, and this morning on the way to work my cable started fraying again! I think this morning it is partly because of the cold, but i still don't think it should have broke.
It is always harder to pull the clutch when the bike is cold in the morning How do i keep my cables from fraying and does the cold have anything to do with it?

• motoxvet

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:56 AM

Does it look like the inner wire enters the outer housing straight or at some angle?  That could be a function of a damaged perch or a non-matched perch and lever.  YZ owners complain so much about clutch pull anyway,  here's what I did  & it totally solved my pull issues- 

http://www.protaper....utch-perch.html

I don't know if you'd need the hot start feature or not. This perch and another new cable and I think you'd be thrilled with the results.

And no, I don't work for Pro Taper.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 25, 2016 - 12:10 PM

Your perch/lever is shot causing the cable to bind.

Replace the perch and lever.

• tjs426

Posted August 29, 2016 - 08:48 PM

I just installed a magura hydro clutch kit on my 2013 wr450 , wow same easy pull all day. that is the way to go around 300bucks . they make kits for just about any bike. gonna put one on my 89 cr 500 next

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dg400sm

Posted August 31, 2016 - 05:39 AM

Hey guys, my clutch cables on my wr426 keeps fraying, each one only lasting about 4 months, what gives??? They always fray at the top next to the lever, and this morning on the way to work my cable started fraying again! I think this morning it is partly because of the cold, but i still don't think it should have broke.
It is always harder to pull the clutch when the bike is cold in the morning How do i keep my cables from fraying and does the cold have anything to do with it?

do you have aftermarket handlebars that are much taller than stock?

• cupcake2100

Posted August 31, 2016 - 05:40 AM

Not taller, but thicker

• YZEtc

Posted September 03, 2016 - 01:21 AM

My guess is that the barrel-shaped end of the cable is not able to rotate in the notch where it sits in the clutch lever.

A bent clutch lever is usually the cause of this.

This is why the end of the cable comes with a metal or nylon sleeve over the barrel:

To cut friction and allow easier rotation.

• cupcake2100

Posted September 05, 2016 - 10:43 PM

So i figured out the fraying, it was a rough pay off the lever rubbing against the cable that i had to file down, but now i have another problem: in the cold weather my clutch is really hard to pull, and when i pull it i can really feel the tension of the cable, and hear it. But when the weather is warmer it is not a problem and the clutch is easy to pull as normal. This is a problem because i ride all winter long (i don't have a car lol) why is my clutch so hard to pull when it's cold outside?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.