YZ450 2014 - Fuel problem?

12 replies to this topic
  • twomancrew

Posted August 24, 2016 - 06:42 AM

Bike runs great thru woods, when get into long climbs (1k - 2k vert, at 9k - 11k elevation) it dies. Will start right back up and run for 100yards then dies. If I let it sit longer it will start right up and run for 200 yards. Turn around head down wants to die. Run and die, on and off. After about 5 miles it runs great. Hear there is a sensor near air filter that I can clean? Think of trading in anyway and do not want to unload problem on someone else.

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:15 AM

Sounds like a classic plugged tank vent.

• twomancrew

Posted August 24, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Blew thru vent hose when I was having issue, that should clear it, I would think. I dumped fuel from gas tank, then rinsed with fresh fuel. Should I check fuel pump intake? Mechanic friend thinks it is fuel pump but I want to rule other things out before I drop $450 on fuel pump.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 24, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Have you ever cleaned the pump filter? 

• twomancrew

Posted August 24, 2016 - 01:45 PM

Will remove pump and clean tonight.

• vossman23

Posted August 24, 2016 - 03:06 PM

Following this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Ordinarily, obstructed fuel filters in EFI systems don't behave the way you described things.  What usually happens is that the bike will run OK up to a certain throttle and RPM level and "hit a wall".  As the filter becomes dirtier, the limit on engine speed and fuel delivery drops lower.  The fact that you need to wait for a period of time after a stall out tends to point away from that to something like the fuel vent.  Put the hose back on the cap with the cap off the tank and see if you can blow from the free end of the hose through the cap vent. 

It could also be an electrical thing; coil heating and failing at temperature, perhaps.  Not saying not to check the filter, just saying it doesn't fit the mold very well.

• twomancrew

Posted August 27, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Cap vent is fine. Starting to think electrical. Hmmmm?

• ORboatpilot

Posted August 27, 2016 - 10:27 PM

I had the exact same problem with my 16 450fx.   Cleaned fuel filter still had the same issue.   Replaced the fuel pump and it runs great again all day. 

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2016 - 06:39 AM

That fits.

• stevethe

Posted August 28, 2016 - 01:03 PM

Instead of spending the big bucks for a fuel pump assembly I wonder if you could just put in a Japanese fuel pump like this. Cheap http://m.ebay.com/it...97886%7Ciid%3A1

• yz454

Posted August 29, 2016 - 08:16 PM

The fuel pump  above works fine , got one in a 15 .450f .

• twomancrew

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:45 PM

New OEM pump solved problem. Did a nice ride in high country and had no problems. Local dealership $460, Rocky Mt $350. Messed up and did not get $17 Oring, needed it. John Deer tractor dealer came thru w $3 Oring, temp fix.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.