When did Yamah switch from a keyed ignition to a button?

I was at my Yamaha dealer today and I was checkin out all the bikes and I checked out an 04 wr250 and I noticed that instead of a key, the ignition was a grey button that is down for on and up for off.( I don't mean the E start)Is this something Yamaha switched to just this year? Because my friend has a 2003 wr250 and I'm positive he has a key ? I'd appreciate it is someone could enlighten me :D

Hamish,

I put a kill switch on mine... plus I use a disc lock... but I still don't like taking it to the shops unless I can park it somewhere with a lot of people around... like at the main entrance or something... at least before the 450 cam mod I had a second level of defence... now, any dumb-ass criminal can jump on and get it fired up... I suppose I could always leave the bike with the choke pulled out... should make it a bit harder to steal...

I would like to have a combined ignition switch and steering lock... I had some ideas about such a thing a while back, when I first got the bike... I should start seriously thinking of the idea again...

David

Well I feel like an idiot now ? I'm not sure if he did, I never paid that much attention but I thought I saw a key in there, but who knows.

So what is the point of having a button? If the ignition switch isn't a theft deterent, why have it in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier to leave it like the motocross bikes and have a kick start and e start but without the button?

Well I feel like an idiot now ? I'm not sure if he did, I never paid that much attention but I thought I saw a key in there, but who knows.

So what is the point of having a button? ? If the ignition switch isn't a theft deterent, why have it in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier to leave it like the motocross bikes and have a kick start and e start but without the button?

You have to turn it off some how. Use the button instead of stalling it.

has anyone added a key switch, and if so which one. In Oz Wr's are registered. Cant even ride it to the shops without worrying if it'll b there when u get back

I'd be interested in finding that out as well. I'd love to add a key to mine and get rid of the button.

• Like 1

When I dual sported mine, I made a stainless steel box that was just big enough to hold one of those round key security locks and the LED thingy. I used the button bracket as a template for the mounting holes on the side and added a big and small hole on top for the switch and LED. The lock has a simple switch attached to the bottom which I wired the same way as the button. Works like a charm, doesn't rust and keeps the honest people honest ?.

When I dual sported mine, I made a stainless steel box that was just big enough to hold one of those round key security locks and the LED thingy. I used the button bracket as a template for the mounting holes on the side and added a big and small hole on top for the switch and LED. The lock has a simple switch attached to the bottom which I wired the same way as the button. Works like a charm, doesn't rust and keeps the honest people honest ?.

Photos?

I need this!! Post more details and photo's...

I'm guesing that due to the fact the e-start model have a battery, they went to the kill switch to isolate the power when the bike is off. Whith the earlier 426's, the power is automatically off when the engine stops.

Hamish

I have some photos of the housing after it was finished and I'll try to get some pics of it installed on the bike. I'll need help loading them though, I've never done that before ?. I started by making a cardboard mockup of the housing then transferred the pattern to some stainless steel sheetmetal, cut it, drilled it, bent it and welded it. BTW I had a friend do the (MIG/TIG?) welding on it (I'm a machinist not a welder :D). I made holes to fit for the switch, LED and mounting holes where it attaches to the upper tree and headlight housing. You have to remember to get a metric nut welded inside the box first so you will have some threads to attach the headlight housing. The LED inside the stock switch comes with a tiny circut board that I glued to the inside of the housing to keep the LED shining though it's hole. I tried to use some silicon to fill the bottom of the housing but the vapors corroded the switch so badly I had to cut it out and replace the switch. If you were to fill that area in the switch with an anti-oxidant grease that wouldn't happen. The idea behind using the silicon was to seal out any moisture from getting to the switch as well as make it so you could not see where the wires went to (and figure how to hotwire it). Like I said tho, it'll keep the honest people honest but anyone who can read an electrical diagram and isn't color blind could still get it if they wanted to.

PM me if you can post the pics for me and I'll send them this weekend :D

How about a small toggle switch in parallel with the kill switch hidden somewhere behind the headlight bucket. You can't defeat it if you can't find it. Still not bulletproof but at least you can make it difficult.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...