03 yz450 no spark

5 replies to this topic
  • Smitty199m

Posted August 23, 2016 - 03:50 PM

I just put a stealthy lighting coil on my bike and I have power (I know this because I wired my trail tech to the power from the stator and it is responding everytime I kick it). It ran fine before I made the switch. When I did the switch I cleaned all the connections and have now double checked them.

• Smitty199m

Posted August 31, 2016 - 04:29 PM

After cleaning the carb, countless times, checking the valves and setting them still would not idle. Put the original stator on and ran fine. Who woulda thought a brand new electrix stator would be bad. I called stealthy off-road and they said that they won't give me a refund until it is checked by the factory in England, and if it is bad then they will send me a new one , or I can buy another one and wait to see if it is actually bad. I cannot believe the customer service there at stealthy off road but anyway idk where else I can buy a lighting stator for my bike.

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2016 - 08:35 AM

Who woulda thought a brand new electrix stator would be bad.

Me.

For one thing, it was what was changed before the bike started acting up, so it's logically the first thing to suspect.  For another, they're notorious for it.

By now, you will have noticed that the stator itself is nearly small enough to drop into your gas tank.  It has only four coils that were intended to provide only enough power to run the ignition.  That, compared with the 12 wound poles on the stator for the WR models.  So they take away two of them for lighting, from which they get only enough power for about 35w DC, and leave the ignition to try to make things work with half the capacity it originally had.  To counter part of this, finer wire is used, but that makes it more subject to failures from overloading and vibration. 

No one I'm aware of has aver been able to create a reasonably reliable lighting support stator for any of the early YZF's.  Possibly Ricky Stator, but you can only do so much with a sow's ear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smitty199m

Posted September 01, 2016 - 10:37 AM

But I didn't even try to wire anything to it, would t you think that from factory it would work?
Grayracer513

• Smitty199m

Posted September 01, 2016 - 10:39 AM

Me.

For one thing, it was what was changed before the bike started acting up, so it's logically the first thing to suspect. For another, they're notorious for it.

By now, you will have noticed that the stator itself is nearly small enough to drop into your gas tank. It has only four coils that were intended to provide only enough power to run the ignition. That, compared with the 12 wound poles on the stator for the WR models. So they take away two of them for lighting, from which they get only enough power for about 35w DC, and leave the ignition to try to make things work with half the capacity it originally had. To counter part of this, finer wire is used, but that makes it more subject to failures from overloading and vibration.

No one I'm aware of has aver been able to create a reasonably reliable lighting support stator for any of the early YZF's. Possibly Ricky Stator, but you can only do so much with a sow's ear.

Do you think by hooking the trail tech to the power from the 2 coils would blow them??

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:24 AM

Just running the ignition will do it.  The two coils left for the ignition are overloaded to an unreliable degree in this configuration.  It just basically doesn't work well.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.