Exhaust Packing

4 replies to this topic
  • Peenton

Posted April 03, 2002 - 03:50 AM

While inpatiently waiting for my Thunder Alley to be shipped I needed to repack my stock pipe. I bought the packing (Moose... I think) wrapped it snugly, used masking tape to hold it in-place, reinstalled the pipe, and she sounded good again.

Problem is, the packing lasted for two rides. :) I pulled the pipe last night and the packing was all but gone.

Any suggestions? Who makes a good slide-on packing that last longer? Or did I just do a sh@$ty job of installing the wrap-around stuff?

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 03, 2002 - 07:47 AM

Use duct tape and keep it on :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • acarter920

Posted April 03, 2002 - 02:02 PM

Hmm... i dont know where the packing could have gone. But, instead of buying the moose packing... just crawl up in yer attic and use some of that owens corning fiberglass insulation. Exact same stuff. :)

• BK14MX

Posted April 03, 2002 - 06:20 PM

When my stock exhaust burnt out all its packing, I tried several different types, the only I used with any luck was Silent Sport. I have been told, and I have in my posession, that Stainless Steel wool is a great replacement, but it has to be stainless. If you do a search, you can probably come up with a part number from the same place I got it from.

• flyinguitars

Posted April 04, 2002 - 07:04 AM

I think I remember someone here saying that they got stainless steel wool packing from Mcmaster Carr or Grainger. Im due for a re-pack so I'll check around and let you know if I find it.
Mike

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.