wr400 good muffler upgrade?

4 replies to this topic
  • bigcam

Posted August 20, 2016 - 08:54 PM

2000 WR400 and im looking for a good muffler upgrade. Now since it is a pretty nice bike i would kinda rather have new. Every where i look it seems everyone points to a used YZ muffler. What mufflers are as good or better then the YZ that i can buy new? I want more power! I dont care about noise i enjoy the nice sound of a healthy engine. Don't worry Im in farm country. No one cares about noise here. Most the ATVs around here completely drown the sound of my bike out easily.

• underground-mpyre

Posted August 21, 2016 - 05:24 AM

I would say also a Yz exhaust. I love mine. Plus, think about others will have to be rejetted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigcam

Posted August 26, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Im fine with rejetting. Id just rather have nice and new over old and scratched. That is the point im looking at and even if i could find a brand new OEM YZ pipe im sure it will cost alot more then a aftermarket one that id hope produce more power?

• underground-mpyre

Posted August 27, 2016 - 04:13 AM

I think you are finding excuses to buy a new one because it is pretty and can make 10,000 horsepower. Yz muffler will work perfectly with great sound and affordably.

Always remember we have a Wide-Ratio(WR), so we want the grunt down low to tractor up steep $h!+. You want fast an tons of Hp, maybe a Yz is the way to go for your needs.

Sorry, just spilling the truth.

• bigcam

Posted September 01, 2016 - 11:31 AM

I think you are finding excuses to buy a new one because it is pretty and can make 10,000 horsepower. Yz muffler will work perfectly with great sound and affordably.

Always remember we have a Wide-Ratio(WR), so we want the grunt down low to tractor up steep $h!+. You want fast an tons of Hp, maybe a Yz is the way to go for your needs.

Sorry, just spilling the truth.

Really? If you could read i want new "as good or better then the YZ" Nothing about trying to make 10,000 horsepower. This means id be fine with a stock YZ pipe if it was NEW!!!!!!!! Also as i stated before "Id just rather have nice and new over old and scratched." Where in any of that does it say i want nothing but extreme HP? What happen to these forums where people actually helped someone with there question rather then assume things that had nothing to do with the question and try to make them feel stupid for asking the question? 

One more thing. A YZ with them close gears does me no good as a dual sport! This WR is street legal so i can ride it to the trails. Also a YZ does not have the top speed the WR does so actually i would be slowing down rather then going faster. Im sure by the time i geared a YZ to have the same or higher top speed then a WR 1st gear would get pretty steep! So your saying that will help to tractor up a hill to huh? What about lights? YZ id have to convert over to run the lights and also would loose the ability to ride it on public roads!

What is so dang hard to say hey _______ pipe is close to a stock YZ or _______ is a bit better then a YZ  or ______ is a bit more top end and you lose a little low end? Good god this is about as bad as all them threads where everyone complains about the noise when someone is looking for a better pipe. Good god someone wanted to know how pipes compare and everyone wants to jump to noise levels or off the wall HP numbers when the question is about how different mufflers compare for power gains and in what RPM range. 

Maybe the truth of the matter is you have nothing better to do then try to act cool on the internet making up crap because you don't actually know a real answer but must comment to look cool trying to be smarter then the next guy.

It is such a simple question! What can i buy new that is as good or better then a stock YZ pipe? But see i learned something reading these forums and had to go on about the "i don't care about noise bit" so this didn't turn into someone telling me how i will or wont like noise! I just had to find the 1 guy to make this into "you just want ridiculous horsepower" 

BTW back in 2002 when i bought my first WR400 and my buddy had a YZ426 we ran them side by side over and over swapping machines back and forth to take out variables. That YZ never could get a full bike on the WR400 no matter witch one of us rode it but every time once the WR hit 5th gear it left that YZ. So again why would i want to "slow down" to a YZ gearing? YZ only had a small advantage till it ran out of gears.....  Also before you come up with some stupid crap about one being treated bad or whatever that buddy of mine owned the WR first and at the time they ran side by side it was 2 years old. The YZ was a 01 making it only 1 year old. Both started life with the same owner......... WR only having the FREE mods done. Nothing aftermarket. While i will admit that YZ "FELT" like it had a lot more. Clearly not the difference we expected at all! Them races is what changed my mind from going out and buying a new YZ426. What was the point in getting a YZ when the difference was not very much? And i also ran a lot of high speed trails where that higher 5th was needed!

I miss the days when adults was in the forums helping rather then smart mouth kids. Rant Over......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.