- - - - -

Motor locked up

• Please sign in to reply

35 replies to this topic
  • Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 25, 2016 - 04:11 PM

Okay. My bikes at my buddies house and I'll be back there tomorrow. Thanks I'll give that a try

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 02:52 PM

I can turn it alittle big more with what you said to do greyracer513 but still locks up

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 04:02 PM

I'm just an idiot. I didn't have the chain guide all the way in place causing that that that rotates down by the flywheel to hit it. Spins good once I fixed that issue

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 11:49 AM

Okay back to the drawing board.. After putting it back together, put probably 20-25 hours on it. Not one issue, 1st or 2nd kick it was starting. Went to go for a ride yesterday and it was locked up again kicker wouldn't budge. I haven't checked timing yet since last time this happened timing was still dead nuts on. I pull the right side of the case of to check if any of those gears or spring was busted but everything looked brand new and nothing lodged in it. I thought the circlip I found was the problem but obviously not.. Anyone have any ideas..? Any help is appreciated as I'm getting real fed up with dirtbikes.. This thing is head for the dumpster pretty dang quick.

• Ride_Flip_Repeat

TT Bronze Member

485 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Okay back to the drawing board.. After putting it back together, put probably 20-25 hours on it. Not one issue, 1st or 2nd kick it was starting. Went to go for a ride yesterday and it was locked up again kicker wouldn't budge. I haven't checked timing yet since last time this happened timing was still dead nuts on. I pull the right side of the case of to check if any of those gears or spring was busted but everything looked brand new and nothing lodged in it. I thought the circlip I found was the problem but obviously not.. Anyone have any ideas..? Any help is appreciated as I'm getting real fed up with dirtbikes.. This thing is head for the dumpster pretty dang quick.

My friends 98 yz 125s kick start gear was somehow connecting with the clutch basket gear and would be locking up the bike. Have you checked the kicker mechanism yet? Have you split the cases yet or just been digging around in the top end?

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 13, 2016 - 12:18 PM

Well, since I don't see where you replaced the chain, I'd check the timing again.  Another possibility is a worn rod bearing in the crank assembly.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 01:10 PM

My friends 98 yz 125s kick start gear was somehow connecting with the clutch basket gear and would be locking up the bike. Have you checked the kicker mechanism yet? Have you split the cases yet or just been digging around in the top end?

Ive dug around in the top end. I took that right side case off thats right behind the clutch and visually inspected the gears and did not find anything broke. 

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 01:15 PM

Well, since I don't see where you replaced the chain, I'd check the timing again.  Another possibility is a worn rod bearing in the crank assembly.

Okay I will check the timing on it again. How can I verify a worn rod bearing? If the rod has any slop in it? And without pull the cylinder off again, is their really any other way to check?

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 14, 2016 - 11:39 AM

From the manual (measurement F):

Attached Thumbnails

• rod.png

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Decided I'm not dealing with this anymore this summer. Someone should buy this bike from me lol

• jmd426

TT Silver Member

782 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Decided I'm not dealing with this anymore this summer. Someone should buy this bike from me lol

How may dollar bills will it take to buy?

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 14, 2016 - 03:03 PM

No selling/trading in the forums, guys.  You know the rules.

Use a PM.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:36 AM

No selling/trading in the forums, guys.  You know the rules.

Use a PM.

Sorry have not been on here long. Did not know that was a rule. 

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 11:34 AM

IMAG0091.jpg cam chain tensioner is still in. You can see how it doesn't sit properly in the gears, and where the chain feeds down in the case, is super tight. What my problem??

• grayracer513
42,929 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 19, 2016 - 07:02 AM

That might be the worst stretched cam chain I've ever looked at.  Replace the chain.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 01:02 PM

That might be the worst stretched cam chain I've ever looked at.  Replace the chain.

Sorry for such a late reply. I dont get on here much.. But I did. I ordered a new chain and tensioner since both are fairly cheap. I am hoping I do not have any bent valves. Hoping to get to fixing it one of these days!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.