- - - - -

Motor locked up

• Please sign in to reply

35 replies to this topic
  • Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 06:26 AM

2012 YZ 450F locked up on me last night. I went riding for about a half hour. I shut the bike off, to take a break. When I went to start it, motor was locked completely up. Kicker would not budge. When I put it in gear and tried rolling it, the bike made a bad grinding sound.. Valves are within spec.. Oil change with filter had about 2.5 hours MAX on it, with a freshely cleaned and oiled filter. Ruffley 20-30 hours ago I checked how many hours the bike had and it only had about 24ish hours on it. Wtf happened? Wasnt overheating. HELP!! 

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 19, 2016 - 06:45 AM

Cam timing is the most likely culprit.  Remove the cover and check. 

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 07:00 AM

Cam timing is the most likely culprit.  Remove the cover and check. 

What could have made it change and what could it have broke?

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 19, 2016 - 07:07 AM

If it's the chain, you will probably find it has several tight, binding links.  If present, these can keep the cam chain tensioner from extending as far as it should.  Then, when the engine stops, if it happens to rebound off of the compression stroke, or kicks back slightly on the following startup, the kinks get yanked out of the chain going backwards, slack appears, and it skips time.

That being the case, the chain will be defective, the tensioner may be damaged, and you may have bent a couple of valves and possibly broke a valve guide as well.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 07:33 AM

If it's the chain, you will probably find it has several tight, binding links.  If present, these can keep the cam chain tensioner from extending as far as it should.  Then, when the engine stops, if it happens to rebound off of the compression stroke, or kicks back slightly on the following startup, the kinks get yanked out of the chain going backwards, slack appears, and it skips time.

That being the case, the chain will be defective, the tensioner may be damaged, and you may have bent a couple of valves and possibly broke a valve guide as well.

Well I have the motor out so I will start tearing it down. Priced some stuff oil and this isnt gonna be cheap.

• vossman23

TT Bronze Member

228 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 19, 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hope it's not too bad.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hope it's not too bad.

Me too. The year before this bike I bought an RMZ that blew from the tranny up. Spent all summer fixing it to only get rid of it. Rode that twice. Now this happened with my yzinger. Half a summer on it  :bonk:

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 05:11 AM

I found one missing circlip from my piston and found one broken cirlcip in my stator cover.. With no damage inside the cylinders what so ever

Edited by Braaap04, August 20, 2016 - 05:14 AM.

• damnbiker94

TT Member

58 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 05:40 AM

Good news on the cylinder.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 05:44 AM

Good news on the cylinder.

How the heck does the circlip get way down there?? 

• Chris7280

TT Newbie

7 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 06:48 AM

Do u have the cylinder off? I wanna see a picture of this

Edited by Chris7280, August 20, 2016 - 06:49 AM.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 07:15 AM

Do u have the cylinder off? I wanna see a picture of this

I will take a picture of it when I get done with work. I couldnt believe it either

• kxfreak

TT Platinum Member

1,588 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 06:00 AM

I found one missing circlip from my piston and found one broken cirlcip in my stator cover.. With no damage inside the cylinders what so ever

when you say this are you saying one of the circlip that holds the piston to the rod came out and you found it inside the stator cover, or did you find 2 different circlips? if it's just the one from the piston if it came out it could find its way to the stator cover quite easily. have you ever done a rebuild on the bike? sounds like whoever put the piston in didn't seat the clip all the way. however, this wouldn't have caused the symptoms you described, so had the timing jumped?

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:01 AM

when you say this are you saying one of the circlip that holds the piston to the rod came out and you found it inside the stator cover, or did you find 2 different circlips? if it's just the one from the piston if it came out it could find its way to the stator cover quite easily. have you ever done a rebuild on the bike? sounds like whoever put the piston in didn't seat the clip all the way. however, this wouldn't have caused the symptoms you described, so had the timing jumped?

No I only found one circlip. It was the one that holds the wrist pin in place in the piston and found it in the stator cover. When I bought the bike, it was freshly rebuilt by the previous owner. As far as the timing jumping, I honestly forgot to even check it before I took it apart.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 03:53 PM

So great news! I over looked my piston. Idk if it was the oil covering the circlip mixed with bad lighting or me just going to fast. Anyways, both circlip are in the piston and it's not missing. So where could it be from? Tranny?

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 24, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Picture of the clip?

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:38 AM

IMAG0051.jpg

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 24, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Looks like a wrist pin clip to me.  Probably was dropped in during a previous piston change.  Nothing like that one in the transmission.

• Braaap04

TT Member

86 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'm just confused and getting frustrated now. Without the head on, motor spins freely. Put the cylinder and head on it. When to time it and again. You can only turn it so far before it hits something. I can feel it hit the compression stroke, then it feels like it his a wall and won't budge. I don't get it. Bent valve..?

• grayracer513
42,862 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 25, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Head on, plug out, no cam chain...will it turn over?

If it will, time it, then look at the lobe position from the right side.  They should be pointing up at roughly 25 degrees and toward each other.  If they don't either one of the sprockets slipped or you did something wrong.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.