WR450F Horn Problem

Hi All,

I have a 2009 WR450F however the Horn is not working. I have replaced the amplifier and still no luck. Have tested the button and it appears to work ( test with multi-meter continuity)..   

Question:

• Is the horn AC or DC?
  • what voltage should be going to the horn?
  • Should the horn be earthed??
  • What does the amplifier do??

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciate as this is doing my head in.... it a simple horn.. .apparently NOT.

Cheers

Edited by Downunder_wr450

Amplifier ???

Do you mean Rectifier?

The horn is DC, + & - direct to the battery (via the harness and it's fuses), with a button interupting the connection.

MC horns are pretty fragile.

We don't get OEM horns over here: is it mechanical (round with a nut on the front and or rear) or is it electronic ( a square box with no adjustments) ?

If it is mechanical, usually the adjuster needs to be adjusted periodically to keep the horn working.

Dirt and water will render it dead, until you clean it and re-adjust it.

Finally got the Horn working.... End Result was a faulty Horn.

However just for those out there who will one day be troubleshooting a Horn. For and Australian ADR compliant WR450F the voltage from the button towards the input of the ampilifer is 0.8volts. Output from the Amplifier is 6 volts DC which connects to a 6v horn. Also note that the horn must be isolated from the frame i.e. NOT Earthed.

Good Luck out there... ?

• 7 years later...

Hi my 2009 WR450F horn is not working. The switch is working and the horn works. the wiring with some sort of enclosed device seems to be the problem, is this the horn amplifier. How and where can I buy one

Edited by MicW450