WR450F Horn Problem

4 replies to this topic
  • Downunder_wr450

Posted August 18, 2016 - 11:42 PM

Hi All,

I have a 2009 WR450F however the Horn is not working. I have replaced the amplifier and still no luck. Have tested the button and it appears to work ( test with multi-meter continuity)..   

Question:

• Is the horn AC or DC?
  • what voltage should be going to the horn?
  • Should the horn be earthed??
  • What does the amplifier do??

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciate as this is doing my head in.... it a simple horn.. .apparently NOT.

Cheers

Edited by Downunder_wr450, August 19, 2016 - 01:36 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 19, 2016 - 05:21 AM

Amplifier ???

Do you mean Rectifier?

The horn is DC, + & - direct to the battery (via the harness and it's fuses), with a button interupting the connection.

MC horns are pretty fragile.

We don't get OEM horns over here: is it mechanical (round with a nut on the front and or rear) or is it electronic ( a square box with no adjustments) ?

If it is mechanical, usually the adjuster needs to be adjusted periodically to keep the horn working.

Dirt and water will render it dead, until you clean it and re-adjust it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Downunder_wr450

Posted August 20, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Its a Mechanical one.  Yes it is DC, however the button delivers 0.8 volts to the input of the amplifier and then 6 volts output towards the horn.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 21, 2016 - 04:52 AM

Its a Mechanical one.  Yes it is DC, however the button delivers 0.8 volts to the input of the amplifier and then 6 volts output towards the horn.

Sounds like a relay, and you have a 12v system, so maybe you are looking at the meter wrong ??

• Downunder_wr450

Posted August 26, 2016 - 03:09 AM

Finally got the Horn working.... End Result was a faulty Horn.

However just for those out there who will one day be troubleshooting a Horn. For and Australian ADR compliant WR450F the voltage from the button towards the input of the ampilifer is 0.8volts. Output from the Amplifier is 6 volts DC which connects to a 6v horn. Also note that the horn must be isolated from the frame i.e. NOT Earthed.

Good Luck out there... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.