Is cush drive necessary for supermoto? 2012 WR450F

6 replies to this topic
  • dirznut

Posted August 18, 2016 - 10:31 AM

Hey guys, I currently have the choice between a 4.25" rear with cush drive or a 5" rear without cush drive. I'd prefer the 5" so I can run a 160 but the bike is going to be ridden on the street just as much as on the track. Is the cush drive necessary on this bike? I've yet to hear about modern WR's having transmission issues but would like some more info on it.

Thanks!

• AnonymousBlackX

Posted August 18, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Never had an issue with mine so far. I have 5inch rear, the pp3 fits Ez but the q3 does not for some reason. Cush drive I've heard about but I've never used one myself

• stevethe

Posted August 18, 2016 - 10:40 AM

The Cush drive would be easier on it however I've got many many miles on a 08' without issues. The 07 up don't seem to have any issues.
The only issue you may run into is a 160 on a 5" rim may possibly rub or get chain rub on the tire. I have shaved down 160's but now just run a 150 on the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 18, 2016 - 11:24 AM

You already have a 'cush clutch'....

• dirznut

Posted August 18, 2016 - 01:52 PM

Thanks guys, this was the input I was looking for.

You already have a 'cush clutch'....

I've heard of that but have never seen it in person. It's essentially a rubber or spring dampened mechanism on the back of the clutch basket, right?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 18, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Thanks guys, this was the input I was looking for.

I've heard of that but have never seen it in person. It's essentially a rubber or spring dampened mechanism on the back of the clutch basket, right?

On the oem basket, there is a plate on the back that is riveted on.

152061022941_1.jpg

You can see on this aftermarket clutch, the bumpers...

clutch_basket1.jpg

Edited by KRANNIE, August 18, 2016 - 02:47 PM.

• knuckleduster271

Posted August 20, 2016 - 02:25 PM

If you really want to take the stress off the transmission replace your factory cluch with a slipper

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.