Just Purchased A YZ450FX! Need advice with build list

44 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2016 - 03:36 PM

No compressor.  It comes off the bottom of the shock.  Slide the bumper up some, you'll see how it works. 

• XJHammer

Posted August 21, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Yea I waited too. Then boiled over 4 times on one really nasty1st gear trail.

At speed I wouldn't worry about it.

• NorCal

Posted August 22, 2016 - 06:58 AM

What are your thoughts on a 1.6 radiator cap?

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2016 - 07:10 AM

That's 23.5 psi, and it's a bit high for my tastes, although it will effectively raise the boiling point another 10-15 degrees (F).  The risk it adds is that of a hose blowing or such as that. 

• jmd426

Posted August 22, 2016 - 01:55 PM

What are your thoughts on a 1.6 radiator cap?

Just say no. Use evans coolant and no worry's about cap pressure

• Wiz636

Posted August 22, 2016 - 03:26 PM

I wouldn't worry about the 1.6 cap, fan (unless you ride a lot of really tight, gnarly, 1st gear clutching stuff) or Evans coolant.

Make your own coolant.  Mix up a batch of 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol antifreeze, and few capfuls of a surfactant like Redline Water Wetter.

• stevethe

Posted August 22, 2016 - 03:44 PM

I wouldn't worry about the 1.6 cap, fan (unless you ride a lot of really tight, gnarly, 1st gear clutching stuff) or Evans coolant.

Make your own coolant.  Mix up a batch of 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol antifreeze, and few capfuls of a surfactant like Redline Water Wetter.

80% water likely means two things. A boil over and not enough corrosion protection.

• Wiz636

Posted August 22, 2016 - 03:50 PM

80% water likely means two things. A boil over and not enough corrosion protection.

No, it sure doesn't. I've been running this mixture for 10+ years, over a thousand hours on four different bikes with zero issues.

• stevethe

Posted August 22, 2016 - 03:55 PM

No, it sure doesn't. I've been running this mixture for 10+ years, over a thousand hours on four different bikes with zero issues.

What is the ratio of your mix in comparison to regular water and anti freeze.

• Wiz636

Posted August 22, 2016 - 04:03 PM

What is the ratio of your mix in comparison to regular water and anti freeze.

I mix 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted August 22, 2016 - 04:23 PM

I mix 80% water, 20% ethyl glycol

All I know is in our type of extreme riding 50/50 coolant boils out pretty quick.

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 22, 2016 - 05:12 PM

"Coolant" is a misnomer. Water cools much better than anti-freeze. Only use as much AF as needed for temps and lubricating purposes.

• stevethe

Posted August 22, 2016 - 05:30 PM

"Coolant" is a misnomer. Water cools much better than anti-freeze. Only use as much AF as needed for temps and lubricating purposes.

Your right but water boils out immediately on our rides. All our riders without fans run 100% anti freeze. The ones that are new that don't are on the side of the trail boiled over with their bike overheating. On my 16' with a fan I run about 70/30 coolant to water. The other reason to run at least 50/50 is corrosion protection.

Much of what you run depends on what type of riding you do. There are lots of flowing trail riders out there that might get away with almost no coolant. But I would still run 50/50.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 22, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Your right but water boils out immediately on our rides. All our riders without fans run 100% anti freeze. The ones that are new that don't are on the side of the trail boiled over with their bike overheating. On my 16' with a fan I run about 70/30 coolant to water. The other reason to run at least 50/50 is corrosion protection.

Much of what you run depends on what type of riding you do. There are lots of flowing trail riders out there that might get away with almost no coolant. But I would still run 50/50.

^ please note that this man rides vertical single track with 7 min long wide-open uphills ^ 

He has 'unrideable' trails and hills named after him, and is known as 'the snake' in certain circles.

There is no overheating and high-load senario that he has not experienced....and probably has discovered new ones in fact....

• stevethe

Posted August 22, 2016 - 06:11 PM

^ please note that this man rides vertical single track with 7 min long wide-open uphills ^ 
   He has 'unrideable' trails and hills named after him, and is known as 'the snake' in certain circles.
   There is no overheating and high-load senario that he has not experienced....and probably has discovered new ones in fact....

I feel like I just got busted.

• NorCal

Posted August 23, 2016 - 01:00 PM

I feel like I just got busted.

Sounds like my kind of ridin' buddy!

• Wiz636

Posted August 23, 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'm confused. You mention 100% anti-freeze, 70/30 coolant to water, and then 50/50.

• stevethe

Posted August 23, 2016 - 02:43 PM

I'm confused. You mention 100% anti-freeze, 70/30 coolant to water, and then 50/50.

Yup different bikes and different riding. Not to be confused I called coolant as in = anti freeze.

Edited by stevethe, August 23, 2016 - 03:23 PM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:02 PM

My suggestion is to buy the Honda prepared product and forget about it.

• stevethe

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Honda anti freeze is just a 50/50 mix.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.